type of wood on stake bed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
jasonAA
Model Year: 1930

type of wood on stake bed

Post by jasonAA »

Can anyone tell me the type of wood used on a 1929AA stake bed. My father and I are restoring the complete truck and are trying to figure out the best route to restore the wood on the bed. Do we buy new wood or plain down the orignal? Also, why do we have six holes in the front rims and only five in the rear?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello JasonAA,
Almost all original platforms and stake racks that I have seen have yellow pine. I have found two platforms which have maple for the sills and floor.

You should be able to determine what kind of wood is in your truck after a little sanding. If your truck has wood that is good enough to sand and use, that would be unusual (but very nice).

Your AA should have the same wheels front, rear, and spare. If your truck is a '29, then it should have the six hole wheels and no duals. The rear end should be a worm drive axle. It could be that the rear axle was changed to a '30/'31 axle which uses the 5 hole wheels (and allows for duals to be installed).

If you want to post a picture of your rear axle, I can verify which type you have.
Regards, Neil Wilson