Fuel Leak

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
PanHDrdr
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Fuel Leak

Post by PanHDrdr »

I have a leak at the firewall and sediment bowl as in the earlier post, but I have another question. My fuel line is a steel seemed line like a hydralic brake line, and has a double bubble flare. Should it be a single flare, or the double like on brake lines?

Mickey
manyolkars
Model Year: 1930

Re: Fuel Leak

Post by manyolkars »

What year is your panhead?
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Post by s147881 »

To stop your gas leaks find a product called seal all. It is a clear gel type product. I found mine at auto zone. I had multiple fuel line leaks and changed fuel lines, gaskets, and replaced the sedament bowl. I applied the seal all to each joint and immediately the leaks were stoPped
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Mickey, The double flare is a little better than the single, but they both will work fine. Do you know where your leak is - at the sediment bowl - at the fitting on the fuel line. Some times the flare will have a crack next to the fitting that can cause a leak and it is hard to find. Post a reply on you problem and I'll try to solve your problem!!!!! Shelby, Louisiana.
PanHDrdr
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Post by PanHDrdr »

The leak seems to be at the the flare and sediment bowl connection inside the cab. I did check the old line for a check in the seat, then I bought a new steel brake line and cut and bent it to shape,using the old fittings off the old line, and double fared the cut end. When I replaced the line I still had a leak. Perhaps the leak is further down the line and dripping back down to the fitting I suspect. Im thinking now I will try the seal all, and then if it persist look further on downline.

Manyyolkers, my Pan is a 1950.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

use new fittings they are cheap .
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Mickey , If you replaced the fuel line from the fuel shut off valve to the sediment bowl and you still have the same leak, the seat on the sediment bowl may be damaged. You may have to remove the sediment bowl so you can get a better look at the seat. With it off the truck assemble the fuel line to the sediment bowl try a vaccumn leak test. If you still have the leak try to reface the seat.If you still have a leak you may need to replace the sediment bowl assy. or a new replacement line!! Shelby, Louisiana.