HEADLIGHT REFLECTORS

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

HEADLIGHT REFLECTORS

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I replaced my Headlight reflectors with reproduction reflectors several years ago, big mistake. The replacement are made of metal which I do not like. The originals are made of brass. My originals were black in side. I gave them a baking soda bath for about 30 minutes. The first one I took polish to it and the polish took the Silver off the reflector, Maybe the silver was thin. The other reflector after baking soda bath I took some fine steel wool and buffed the reflector. It cleaned up great to my surprise. I did not polish it. I think I have the before and after shots!!! Shelby, Louisiana.

I double checked and they are the same head light reflectors! BEFORE AND AFTER ?
Attachments
head lights 007.JPG
head lights 007.JPG (119.51 KiB) Viewed 8234 times
head lights 002.JPG
head lights 002.JPG (120.86 KiB) Viewed 8234 times
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on November 4th, 2014, 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manyolkars

Re: HEADLIGHT REFLECTORS

Post by manyolkars »

*they are the same head light reflectors*

They are the same as what?
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:I replaced my Headlight reflectors with reproduction reflectors several years ago, big mistake. The replacement are made of metal which I do not like. The originals are made of copper. My originals were black in side. I gave them a baking soda bath for about 30 minutes. The first one I took polish to it and the polish took the Silver off the reflector, Maybe the silver was thin. The other reflector after baking soda bath I took some fine steel wool and buffed the reflector. It cleaned up great to my surprise. I did not not polish it. I think I have the before and after shots!!! Shelby, Louisiana.

I double checked and they are the same head light reflectors! BEFORE AND AFTER ?
Amazing results! I want to know the product name of the fine steel wool that managed to replate the reflector! The bottom photo clearly shows the copper base plating on the reflector showing through, so if the photo above is indeed the same piece, and all you did was "buffed the reflector" Then it must have added to the silver some how.
Great work!
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

This post reminded me of an old trick for cleaning silver that I'm thinking about trying. You take an appropriately sized container and line it with aluminum foil. add a few tablespoons of baking soda then place the silver to be cleaned in the container and pour boiling water in until the solution covers the object to be cleaned. I have done this with my mother-in-laws dining silver and my wife's silver jewelry and it came out great. Has anyone ever tried this with reflectors or do I have to be the guinea pig since I posted the idea?
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

i think the wool only removed the tarnish on the silver not deposited any new metal the coppery color is just tarnish
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I know that not a one of you think that these are the same reflector which is rat to me. I only tole what happened and how I did it. I don't care if anyone tries it or not. To let everyone know that they are one of the same. I'll tell you how to tell. First, zoom 298% in on the pictures Second, look at the upper side where it is held in by the clip on the head lamp body. You will notice that there is a thin brass tab sticking to the left from the right side of that hole, in the top picture. Then look at the bottom picture and note the same in this picture. Not convinced fine. Now look at the top picture and note the dent on the other side mounting hole (at bottom of this picture). Note in the bottom picture same location (as the dent above) is a brownish worm like in this picture. Now while you have them zoomed 298% Note the copper tint in the 10 o'clock area. Farrell any steel wool will, it only removes the tarnish. Shelby, Louisiana,
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on November 4th, 2014, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Shelby, in your opinion is the steel wool less abrasive than the polish on the silver? If you say they are the same reflector, I believe you. I'll have to give it a try, it sure made a big improvement on your reflectors.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I used the baking soda on 2 different reflectors. one I used polish, it removed the silver leaving it brass showing. The other one in the picture above, after the soda bath I only used the fine steel wool. You can see the scratch marks. The steel wool did not seem to remove the silver, only remove the black and brass tarnish, maybe some silver can off, but the silver sure came out. that's why I posted it for everyone to see. It surely surprised me that's for sure!! Shelby, Louisiana.
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on November 4th, 2014, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:I used the baking soda on 2 different reflectors. one I used polish, it removed the silver leaving it copper showing. The other one in the picture above, after the soda bath I only used the fine steel wool. You can see the scratch marks. The steel wool did not seem to remove the silver, only remove the black and copper tarnish, maybe some silver can off, but the silver sure came out. that's why I posted it for everyone to see. It surely surprised me that's for sure!! Shelby, Louisiana.
Looks Good Shelby, they are the same, it's pretty obvious!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Thanks Spectria, for the reply. Thought someone would try this and make a reply as to their results. I like the originals over replacements. Back home in Louisiana, Shelby!
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

The above reflector is the reflector that I cleaned with steel wool :D Shelby, Louisiana.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Silver is a very soft material. Steel wool will wipe it out in a heartbeat.
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Lamp black was used for polishing original silver reflectors. Light your acetylene torch without the oxygen turned on and you'll get the lamp black floating in the air. Catch some of it on your reflector and polish away. That's what I've used.

Keith
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Chris is right, the silver is not only soft it is thin. Chrome polish or anything like that or harsher goes right through the reflector silver plating. I found a silver polish that is just a chemical on a cloth that does a super job polishing silver reflectors. I have to look for it, and I'll let you know what it is.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

This is the best thing I have found for polishing sliver plated headlamp reflectors: "Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths". It comes in a resealable pouch with 2 cloths inside. They are moist so you have to keep them sealed up so they don't dry out if you want to keep on using them. I found them on the internet here:
http://www.amazon.com/B0017H3PIO-Cape-C ... JPH4SCEQ6Q
If you want to polish your silverware while you're at it, this tin has 12 cloths:
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Polishing-C ... B005GQY6HQ
Even though these are very gentle, don't rub too hard!