Tires for my '30 AA dump truck

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
JimTravis
Body Type: AA dump
Model Year: 1930

Tires for my '30 AA dump truck

Post by JimTravis »

I have been having a problem finding some affordable 600 X 20 tires for my truck. I came up with four new old stock Firestone 750 X 20 tires with tubes and liners. Has anyone tried using this size on Model AA truck like mine? Maybe just on the rear. It looks as though I would have fender and steering clearance problems on the front.
Any input would be appriciated.

Thanks
Jim
manyolkars

Re: Tires for my '30 AA dump truck

Post by manyolkars »

Is Coker out?
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Are you running duals on the back? If so they maybe too wide?
JimTravis

Post by JimTravis »

I do not have duels on the back. I have the lug bolts for duels but do not have the extra wheels. At this time a new set of Corkers is out of the questoin. Too meny other projects and on fixed income.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

I'm sure they will work on the rear, running singles only. I wouldn't use anything bigger than 6.00 on the front for brake rod clearance. The big tires on the back may give the truck a slight rake, but you will get the advantage of tire diameter to give you a poor man's high speed rearend. Will the seller sell you just two? If you have to buy all four, they should be real cheap, or the money would be better spent getting a good set of proper size tires.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - 7:50 tires on the rear give you about 3 mph more speed at 2300 rpm. Yes, I agree that any tire larger than 6:00 on the front is a clearance problem.
Regards, Neil Wilson
JimTravis

Post by JimTravis »

modeleh wrote:I'm sure they will work on the rear, running singles only. I wouldn't use anything bigger than 6.00 on the front for brake rod clearance. The big tires on the back may give the truck a slight rake, but you will get the advantage of tire diameter to give you a poor man's high speed rearend. Will the seller sell you just two? If you have to buy all four, they should be real cheap, or the money would be better spent getting a good set of proper size tires.
I found them in my shed. I had put them there about 20 years ago. I had bought them for a '47 Studebaker ton-n-half that I had but never used them. I need to dig through my out building more often. So I have no current cost except for the mounting which I will not try to do myself. I'll post some pictures after I get them on the rear-end of the AA.

Thanks for the input.

Jim
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Well done. Re-discovering useful parts is something that I find really rewarding about fooling with these old rigs, when you can make an improvement without pulling out your wallet. It is a good feeling to be able to "use up" some of the junk you've had stashed away for years.