project and looking for answers

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
D L M Express
Body Type: 89-A
Model Year: 1928

project and looking for answers

Post by D L M Express »

Hello, My Name is Mike, and I an a new member to the AA club, but long time Model A fan. I am starting a restoration on a 1928 aa Express. To began; just a couple of questions as I start the rebuilding some of you may of had experance with.. First my truck has the early type spoke wheels and some of the spokes are bent' is there a good way inwhich to straighten these heavy spokes. I'm thinking of a better way then a slide hammer and heat? Also all of the running gear including the fenders splash aprons ect. were painted black" does this mean Gloss or semi-gloss or ?" And the last question has anyone know or had positive results with obtaining a vehicle title with any of the many ones who are listed in some popular auto publications? Any help with these questions I have would be greatly appriciated. Thanks...Mike
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: project and looking for answers

Post by Chris Haynes »

I have never had a problem getting a title from my local DMV office. I walk in with nothing. Ask for an application for title. Bring the vehicle in for verification of numbers. Pay them some money. I leave with license plate in hand and title in the mail a week to ten days later.
This is all dependent on your vehicle having been dropped from the DMV computer. You can rest assured that if it hasn't been registered in seven years, at the outside, it will not be in the system.
If you go to a title service what serial number will be on the title you pay them a lot of money for?

PS Bend your spokes cold. Heat will stretch them. Many Ford parts sellers have a spoke straightening tool. http://www.brattons.com/prodtype.asp?PT ... istory=cat
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal »

Welcome from all of us here, we would love to see pics of your truck. need help my e-mail address is terry_rose2002@yahoo.com
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Mike,
States have different requirements for getting an untitled vehicle titled. You must check with your state DMV an ask for a copy of the requirements. Once you know all requirements, then you can determine what to do.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

This link to the SEMA site shows the title requirements for each state. If possible
get the title before you restore the truck as the fee is usually based on the value
of the vehicle. http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=t ... x&g=SEMAGA

Bob
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Bob C wrote:This link to the SEMA site shows the title requirements for each state. If possible
get the title before you restore the truck as the fee is usually based on the value

Bob

I went to the site and looked at CA. This site appears to be dealing with special construction vehicles. Not original old stuff that just happens to not have a title.
Whatever you do with any vehicle never tell the DMV it was assembled from parts. That is a can of worms you will never be able to close. :D
D L M Express
Body Type: 89-A

Post by D L M Express »

Thank's, for the quick reponse's to my questions, I'll revisit the issue of getting a title in my state again "Colorado" here I don't think I can walk in with a vin and walk out with a title. Seems all I here is horror storys about the process, but each state is different. Also I have seen the spoke straightening tool offered I think from "MACs", I didn't think it would handle the heavier type spoke, has anyone used it? Perhaps a tool could be fabbed up to do this. I sure will post some pictures soon. My first real experance with model A's was the restoration of a 1929 AA my dad bought at an auction 30 years ago for $50, back then I thought AA's were too slow, too heavy and hard to drive. I wanted him to put the cab on a car chassis and make a pickup. But I gess I'm getting that pickup just in a much bigger way now. Funny how we come back to things from our youth 30 yrs later. All the best...Mike
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:
Bob C wrote:This link to the SEMA site shows the title requirements for each state. If possible
Bob
I went to the site and looked at CA. This site appears to be dealing with special construction vehicles. Not original old stuff that just happens to not have a title.
Whatever you do with any vehicle never tell the DMV it was assembled from parts. That is a can of worms you will never be able to close. :D
Chris is correct about the can of worms..This is a fact, the only other thing you need besides the vehicle with visible Serial Number, is a bill off sale. Recently here in California, I was able to raise the numbers on the frame to get a verification from CHP which DMV requires, and CHP makes appointments and does it for FREE!!!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
bobcarver
Body Type: model aa

Post by bobcarver »

Hi all. My wife just got a job and her boss just bought a 1929 aa ford truck. They spent $1500 to have electrical redone and nothing works right. I walked in, saw the truck, heard the story, and gladly offered my services to fix it up. Have worked on other classics but nothing this old. So I am embarking on an adventure but understand it will be wise to find others who know more than me. That is easy considering how little I know about this year and make of Ford. Would appreciate basic guidance to start. What literature should I get? and where. Electrical is the first area I will start on.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

bobcarver wrote:Hi all. My wife just got a job and her boss just bought a 1929 aa ford truck. They spent $1500 to have electrical redone and nothing works right. I walked in, saw the truck, heard the story, and gladly offered my services to fix it up. Have worked on other classics but nothing this old. So I am embarking on an adventure but understand it will be wise to find others who know more than me. That is easy considering how little I know about this year and make of Ford. Would appreciate basic guidance to start. What literature should I get? and where. Electrical is the first area I will start on.
Welcome to the Forum!

Ask a specific question, and you will get help. Also post pics of the wiring at the spot like the gen, Starter, and box on the firewall, this will help "US" help you!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Rewiring a Model A is a relatively simple procedure. Great wiring harness' are available along with wiring diagrams. Remember, it is a POSITIVE GROUND system.
bobcarver

Post by bobcarver »

Great to know it's a simple job, but where can I find diagrams and wiring harnesses. Remember I am new at this and not in touch, which is why I joined this forum
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Bob, Welcome to the AA club. MacsAutoParts.com in New York and http://WWW.VINTAGEFORD.COM IN Sacramento, CA. are 2 places to start for wiring diagrams and wiring. Contact both for your catalog. There are several other part suppliers, this will get you started!! Good luck and if you need other help, fill free to ask here. We are all here to help those in need. Some of us guy have been around the model A and AA family 60 plus years. Shelby, Louisiana.
bobcarver

Post by bobcarver »

Thanks, I certainly appreciate simple things like where to look. Been pondering about Chris's last statement "remember this is a positive ground system" and realizing how different this truck is from anything I've dealt with. A positive ground system is totally new to me. I presume it's just the opposite of what I am used to where the negative battery terminal was always grounded but presuming is not wise. I have lots of reading and studying to do before I start tearing into this project seriously. Schools open folks and I look forward to gleaning from the wisdom and experience of you all.
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

[quote="bobcarver"]Thanks, I certainly appreciate simple things like where to look. Been pondering about Chris's last statement "remember this is a positive ground system" and realizing how different this truck is from anything I've dealt with. A positive ground system is totally new to me. I presume it's just the opposite of what I am used to where the negative battery terminal was always grounded but presuming is not wise. I have lots of reading and studying to do before I start tearing into this project seriously. Schools open folks and I look forward to gleaning from the wisdom and experience of you all.[/qu

You are making way to much about the positive ground. Just do what others have said and buy a new wiring harness from a vendor, install it and go from there. It's cheap to buy and you just eliminated looking for shorts in an old wire loom. If you use the search function here you will see wiring diagrams that are helpfull but most new ones you buy come with the same diagram.