Worm gear up rear bearing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
lowtide
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

Worm gear up rear bearing

Post by lowtide »

I have been driving my 28 CC,platform with a worm high speed rear end. I have heard that bearing failure due to lack of oil to that bearing is not uncommon. It seems splash does get to the bearing. Has any one else heard of this and is there a solution. I was wondering If a grease fitting in the plug and using hi-tech grease would solve the problem. Looking foreward to any suggestion on this, the truck runs great and would hate to lose the bearing. Thanks Charlie (lowtide)
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Re: Worm gear up rear bearing

Post by njcar757 »

I havent heard of the bearing problem but some one on this forum probably has. I'm looking at the Jim Schilds AA book, pg 21 worm drive schematic drawing, on top and in back of the worm there are 2 bearings, the front is a roller bearing and in back of it is a thrust ball bearing and in back of it is the housing cap with a grease fitting. These 2 bearings in my opinion will never get oil because of the rotation of the large worm gear, it throws oil forward while driving forward but probably will not throw oil backwards in reverse. According to my schematic, this bearing housing will not hold oil.
The subject of oil for worm drives was discussed on Ahooga .com about a month ago. There were some replies that prefered Lubriplate oils. Go to the Lubriplate web site and you will find petrolium base, semi synthetic and synthetic oils for worm drives. I think that 85-140 gear oil and STP at a 50-50 ratio will work just fine.
I'm restoring a 29 AA and hope we get more in put on these topics.
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Worm gear up rear bearing

Post by gunmetal »

I also have and 29 AA CCPU If you have any information on that kind of truck please e-mail me at terry_rose2002@yahoo. com I save all information I find.