Frame serial number

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
abrahamseven
Body Type: Flat Bed
Model Year: 1929

Frame serial number

Post by abrahamseven »

ok , I got the schematic that Neil Wilson was kind enough to post and proceeded to look for my serial number. I had no luck what so ever, I found nothing except the fact that I am going to be busy with Rust Doctor and Chassis paint this winter, Anyway I did find my Engine # R4 1768 M. does this make sense? Where else could the serial number be? I need it to register the truck, no title just bill of sale. That is all for now, Thanks guys for the information

steve
Drew Mashburn
Model Year: 1930

Re: Frame serial number

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Steve:

The serial number is on top of the left-side frame rail under the front corner of the cab. Cab must be lifted in order to view the serial number. I'd say your engine was a rebuilt.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
abrahamseven

Post by abrahamseven »

Drew , you are saying the R designate rebuilt ? do the other numbers mean anything, did the factory or whoever rebuilt the engine re stamp it, and did they grind off the old number to re stamp it, or is it a rebuilt block that was re-stamped ? sorry for all the questions at once, Thanks a lot for the information , I appreciate it. I am learning lol.

steve
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

abrahamseven wrote:Drew , you are saying the R designate rebuilt ? do the other numbers mean anything, did the factory or whoever rebuilt the engine re stamp it, and did they grind off the old number to re stamp it, or is it a rebuilt block that was re-stamped ? sorry for all the questions at once, Thanks a lot for the information , I appreciate it. I am learning lol.

steve

It is a block that has had the original number removed from and a new non-factory number put in its place. Usually done by rebuilders.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Steve:

I believe that Chris's answer is correct. Your original engine would have had an "AA" prefix before the serial #. My AA's engine # was done just like yours.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
abrahamseven

Post by abrahamseven »

Chris and Drew thank you very much, Now, what is the procedure to lift the cab to find the serial number? I just undo all the body bolts and jack it up? Is there a trick to it, Also can I remove the floor boards to access the serial number. I could got out in the shop and look it over but it is too cold yet lol . Thanks for the information.

steve
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Don't forget to un bolt the steering column at the gas tank as well. you will need to remove the running board splash apron, too.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Also remove the hood, radiator support rods, choke rod,starter shaft. You don't need to remove the cab, just be able to tip up the drivers side a few inches. You do need to remove the left fender, running board, and splash apron though.