Fabric roof

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
redlucky54
Model Year: 1930

Fabric roof

Post by redlucky54 »

Does anybody have any do's and don'ts when it comes to installing the fabric roof on a closed cab pickup (1931) I have the top kit and all looks fairly self explanatory except what is used for the trim around the edges. I do have rain gutters, but am a little unsure on how they go on. Any help or suggestion would be helpful.
IHC
Model Year: 1930

Fabric roof

Post by IHC »

Hi,
I (we, my wife and I) did this a few months ago. I had round headed as well as flat headed nails. It appeared, that the good idea was to use the flat headed nails to attach the fabric to the rails before you attach the trim and the rain gutters. Start in the middle front and moove out to both sides. You need a helper to strech the fabric and hold it there until you have fixed it with a few nails app 2" apart. When the front is is firm and smoothe, drag the fabric firmly back and nail it in place, starting in the middle again. Don't be afraid of ripping it, just drag until all wrinkles are out. When this is done fasten the trim and rain gutters with the round headed nails use all the holes! If the front trim is of the hid'em type. Use a piece of soft wood between the hammer and the trim to get a smoothe surface. I cheated a bit and used a wooden screw at each end of the rain gutters instead of the nails. Cut surplus fabric away with a Stanley knife when every thing is in place.
The difficult thing is to strech the fabric evenly to avoid wrinkles. It can be done with some patience and without getting too angry with each other. Remember: The first nail is no problen, but you only have one go with the others, so be sure to strech evenly.
IHC, Danmark