6or10 spline?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Richard Kinney
Model Year: 1930

6or10 spline?

Post by Richard Kinney »

I need to buy a rear end assy for a 1929 AA . I need it to fit my 6 spoke (dished in) wheels and need to be 6 spline to mate to my warford over under aux. So did the beveled rear come in 6 and 10?.......or can i assemble a u-joint 6 in and 10 out?.........or is my only choice a worm drive? The rear end that came in my doodlebug purchase is a third style and is in good cond. but the shaft and tube are cut short. it fit the wheels and had the same brakeset up,and spring mounting as a junk 1930 bevel rear i have. It also looks just like a molel a car rear but is 3 times as big . if i knew what the heck it came from i could just buy a tube and shaft for it. So help me######## if you can. thanks Dick Kinney
Last edited by Richard Kinney on February 21st, 2003, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The five spoke disk wheels started production in 1930. I believe that you will need to use a 30/31 rear axle for the wheels to fit correctly. A worm drive 1929 rear axle will just not allow the wheels to bolt up good enough to be safe. The other axle you have may be the 1929 bevel gear type axle. It is an oversized Model A axle. There are very few of these around so parts are hard (or impossible) to find. I would not think that your five spoke wheels would fit since this axle was designed for the six spoke 1929 wheels (or the 1928 steel spoke wheels). If you can send pictures of this axle, I might be able to identify it for you.

The 28/29 AAs use a six spline input and 10 spline output. Your Warford is for a 28/29 AA. You can use a 28/29 u-joint on a 30/31 drive shaft since they are the same size. There were two versions of the 28/29 u-joint. The second version with shallow splines are required to match the 30/31 drive shaft. A dealer in Denver told me that u-joints are going for $100 each (Model A or AA u-joints). Your Warford probably has a six spline input shaft also. What transmission are you going to hook to?
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Dick Kinney,

I am getting an undeliverable notice from your e-mail address of kinney912@up.net. Below is the information I was trying to send to you.

Your six spoke disk wheels are for the '29 AA's and the Model A style front end you mentioned would mean that you have a '28/'29 AA. To use your wheels will require that you use the bevel gear type axle you have or use a worm drive rear axle. I believe that the bevel gear type axle to have a better set of gears than the worm drive set up. So, if you can use this axle, it would be great. In addition to trying to find another bevel gear type axle for a good drive shaft, you could consider having your shortened drive shaft and toqure tube put back to original length. I currently know of one other AA with this rear axle. It is in Flordia. It might be that measurments can be gotten for the torque tube.

Another consideration is the rear axle gear ratio. The '28/'29 AA's came in low and high speed gears (7.25:1 or 5.17:1 for the worm gear axle and 7.16:1 or 5.11:1 for the bevel gear axle). The low speed gears give you about a 25 to 30 mph top speed. The high speed gears give you about a 40 to 45 top speed. Your Warford will add about 30% to these speeds. If you want the high speed gears and your bevel gear axle does not have them, it is going to be close to impossible to find some. It is also hard to find the high speed gears for the worm drive axle (but much easier than a bevel gear axle). If your bevel gear axle has high speed gears, then that is the axle to use since a set of high speed worm gears are going to be in the $500 to $800 range. You can do a lot of work on the bevel gear drive shaft for that kind of money.

The 28/29 AA's use a six spline input and 10 spline output u-joint. You are going to need one of these u-joints to go between your Warford and the drive shaft (either worm or bevel). There were two versions of the 28/29 u-joint. The first u-joint version has deep splines and must be used with a deep splined drive shaft. The second u-joint version has shallow splines and can be used with either the deep or shallow splined drive shaft.

You are going to need a '28/'29 AA coupling shaft rear support for you warford. The rear support was used for the Ford dual high transmission also.

You are going to need a standard Model A u-joint for the connection between the three speed transmission and the Warford.

You are welcome to join the Ford Model AA Truck Club. Send me you e-mail and I will send you a membership form.
Regards, Neil Wilson