Horn rod question.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Horn rod question.

Post by 1crosscut »

I've been working on my horn rod and am having trouble getting a good toot out of the horn by using the horn button. I know the horn is good since I've had it rebuilt and I have it temporarly wired with a door bell type button. I've pulled the rod out and cleaned both contacts on the ends, inside of the horn button, spring, brass ring at the base of the spring, under side of the horn rod where it contacts the steering wheel, etc... etc... etc... In testing it with the voltage meter it shows good continuity. I can only get it to give a half hearted spin when using the horn button. It just acts as if it isn't getting a good ground. If I take the contact plate assembly off the end of the steering column and touch the center contact to any grounded surface on the truck the horn works like a champ. I just don't see anything else I can do to make it work. I'm not sure what runs the length of the inside the horn rod to connect the two ends but perhaps it is worn and I just need to replace the horn rod. Suggestions?
------------
Dave
macswoods

Re: Horn rod question.

Post by macswoods »

before replacing the whole assembly, you can get a horn rod rebuild kit. It will replace the wire and ends in the rod. Make sure all the grounds are good. The horn has 6 volts to it all the time and the button grounds the circuit. My horn will not give a strong ah oga until my alternator is kicked in (just a ooog), don't know how acts with an original generator. Mac.... :idea:
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Didn't think about it not working as well with out the engine running. Went out and fired it up and.... not so good. Looked through the catalogs about a million times but never picked up on the kit to rebuld the rod. Think I might give that a go.
------------
Dave
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

You may be getting a good volt & amp reading with a meter but it could be false? I don't really know where the horn rod gets it's ground. I'm sure it is at both end,upper at the steering shalt at the steering wheel and at the lower end behind the spider spring behind the light switch. Make sure that those 2 places are clean and free of rust. I've never had this problem. Also attach a battery charger to the battery and see if horn will work that way!!!!! Shelby, Louisiana.