Mold help- the fuzzy white kind

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
me0418840987
Body Type: packers express
Model Year: 1931

Mold help- the fuzzy white kind

Post by me0418840987 »

Just pulled her out of storage, and am planning to drive her to work tomorrow, It rained quite heavily and the salt is off the roads now. It has been warm and damp here all winter. I have mold on the cloth under my roof. I don't want to use bleach for obvious reasons, and besides, it doesn't kill it all anyways. Any suggestions?
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Re: Mold help- the fuzzy white kind

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Is this a headliner or on the pad under the roof skin?
You could try nailing the problem areas with some Lysol spray and get some heat in there to dry it out when you are not using in. Mold likes moisture and something to eat, so if you can take something away it may die off.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

It won't help now, but if you can leave a trouble light with a 40 watt bulb turned on inside the vehicle during the Fall, Winter and Spring, it will keep it a couple of degrees warmer than atmospheric and this keeps out the moisture by preventing condensation. The warmth will also invite in the little mousies so you'll have to find a way to keep them out. If stored inside, I suggest aluminum roof flashing at least 8 in tall shaped into rings around each tire. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Bladehorse »

From what I was told by a mold remediation person, use hot water and dissolve borax into it till it just starts to fall out of solution. Spray on the mold, and the alkly (Sp) will kill it.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I have some info. that will kill the mold but you have to be careful mot breath the air. I used it to kill mold in a whole house and it killed it dead. Have you got a closed building that you can put the whole vehicle in and close up, if so make sure this building is (AWAY AND NOT CONNECTED TO A HOUSE THAT IS BEING LIVED IN), start the engine and let the vehicle run as described below. or if not, this is the if not- take a tarp or piece of plastic large enough to cover the vehicle top all the way down to the ground all way around and attach so wind will not blow the cover off ( THIS ALL HAS TO BE DONE OUT DOORS AWAY FROM LIVING AREA) everything ready. Start the vehicles engine and let it run for an hour or 'til the engine dies, turn off the ign. leaving the cover on 'til the next day. The mold will be dead, that will end your mold problem. You will have to brush and vacuum to get the mold out days later. The Exhaust gas will kill the mold, and you to so be careful. You can also use a remote engine to do this. What I did on the house that had mold all through it and was not suitable to live in. I put my motorcycle in the house and let it run 'til it ran out of gas. Later I discovered that the mold was gone, It would get on bedding, clothes in closets on the walls. I discovered this by accident!!!!! BE SAFE!!! Shelby, Louisiana.