4-Speed Trouble, Hydraulic Hoist

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
earlcr
Model Year: 1930

4-Speed Trouble, Hydraulic Hoist

Post by earlcr »

I have a 1930 AA, 1-1/2 Ton, with Stake bed.

It has a four speed without PTO. The transmission slips out id 4th gear regularly. I can hold the shift lever and it will stay engaged; but that can't be good for the transmission. Also, are any 3-speed parts interchangeable with 4-speeds? Any suggestions, comments?

I am also looking for a hydraulic hoist for it. If someone out there has a hydraulic hoist, I would pay for photos and some critical dimensions so I could make my own hoist. Am also interested a PTO unit.

Earl
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: 4-Speed Trouble, Hydraulic Hoist

Post by vtwinsideways »

Welcome to the board Earlcr. Snyders still offers a bunch of parts for the 4spd, not sure but others may also. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/aatru ... isc?page=6
Unfortunately it looks like about $950 for a complete new set of gears. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

earlcr wrote:I have a 1930 AA, 1-1/2 Ton, with Stake bed.

It has a four speed without PTO. The transmission slips out id 4th gear regularly. I can hold the shift lever and it will stay engaged; but that can't be good for the transmission. Also, are any 3-speed parts interchangeable with 4-speeds? Any suggestions, comments?

I am also looking for a hydraulic hoist for it. If someone out there has a hydraulic hoist, I would pay for photos and some critical dimensions so I could make my own hoist. Am also interested a PTO unit.

Earl
This could be a sign that the shifter rail lock spring/balls are frozen up, broken, or maybe the pilot shaft main shaft bearings are worn out. Start with the shift tower as it is easy to remove and inspect (once you clean the shcmooze off). You can pull the shift gate bolts out and remove the rails (Watch out for the ball bearings and springs) clean them up and inspect for wear. You might find the problem there or it may be the trans bearings them selves. These all run about $20.00 to $30.00 each plus a gasket kit and gear lube so all is not lost. How much noise is fourth gear making when it is in gear? Some where inside is enough play to let her slip out of gear so its either stuck or worn parts.
Not much from the single A Grinders will fit the AAs though I have not done a full comparison of all the parts everything on the AA is bigger. Some parts like bearings have very similar P/N#s like the main shaft BB--7065 as compared to A-7065.
These early boxes are easy to work on as there are no Synchro bits to worry about, so don't be afraid of opening pandora's box for a looksee.
Cheers!
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Also a worn pilot bearing in the flywheel can cause it to jump out of 4th.

Bob
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

There isn't anything interchangeable between the 3 and 4 speeds. Check this post out: http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3305. If you find out you need specific pieces you can put a want ad up or call Bert's in Denver up. Hope this helps.

Red
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump

Post by Hardhatz »

Luke,

You didn't mention where you are located...
earlcr

Post by earlcr »

Sorry. Rutland, ND, southeastern corner, about 100 miles southwest from Fargo.

Earl
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

i would think if your trans is that worn out that your engine cant be far behind might be easier to just find a replacement , than just pull the motor and trans go through it and really be ready for the driving season. . there are a lot of parts out there and the swap meets are getting started, Best of luck !!
earlcr

Post by earlcr »

Thanks 'rolling' - the engine was just overhauled a year before I bought it - should be good. The previous owner used only in parades and hauled it there. He probably never got it into 4th gear ! :lol:

Earl
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

Shoot.. I have a Hyd dump, but its about 1500 miles away from you.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Hardhatz wrote:Shoot.. I have a Hyd dump, but its about 1500 miles away from you.
UPS will take care of that. :D
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

Hardhatz wrote:Luke,

You didn't mention where you are located...
Taylorville IL Hardhatz, but I think you meant Earl... :lol:
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Hardhatz

Post by Hardhatz »

No, I was pretending to be Obiwan Kenobi :D

Yes, I meant Earl. sorry.... :oops: