Question...

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dyoungs
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Question...

Post by dyoungs »

Ok MikeG....
I was going thru you website. I looked in you AA pictures. What is the difference in the trucks that only have a single rear wheel not the duals? I thought the duals in the rear is what makes it a AA vs a pickup?

Thanks
Dave
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Post by mikeg »

Hi Dave,

I'm pretty sure the AA designation is due to the heavy duty frame, axle and 1.5 ton rating and not specific to the dual rear wheels.

Ambulances, delivery trucks and express (service trucks) among other models like that had single rear wheels.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The AA prefix was used on any part which was unique to the 1-1/2 ton chassis. Any part used on the AA truck which was also for the A, carrier an A prefix.
Regards, Neil Wilson
dyoungs
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Post by dyoungs »

Neil,
On that note how about the engine serial number? A vs. AA

Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Dave,
An “A” or “AA” prefix was a part of the engine number and there was a star on each end. For 1928 through October 1929 the “AA” prefix identify engines with a stronger clutch spring. Starting November 1929 the “AA” prefix identified engines with a four speed transmission.
Note: for a three month period starting mid February 1928 (with engine number A-26268) through mid May 1928 (with engine number 136,000 approximately) the AA truck clutch spring was the same as the Model A. During this period the engine number had the “A” prefix. Refer to the “Service Letters” dated February 23rd and May 15th 1928.
Regards, Neil Wilson