Roof install - pneumatic stapler or original tacks?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

Roof install - pneumatic stapler or original tacks?

Post by Boomer »

I'm ready to install my roof fabric and top material and see in Marco's pics that he used mainly a pneumatic stapler for the welt and fabric. Sure seems simpler than tacks but I also don't want to invest a lot in something I probably won't use much again. Any recommendations on an affordable/adequate stapler for the job would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Drew
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Roof install - pneumatic stapler or original tacks?

Post by 1crosscut »

Drew, Never having done this myself but I will be doing it very soon. I plan on using tacks as they can be driven in halfway until all is set correctly and then set the rest of the way. Also I would think that tacks being of a more durable material would be more resistant to long term weathering (rust) etc...
Dave
------------
Dave
nreed
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931

Post by nreed »

When I did my top I used two ice picks. You pull the fabric tight from corner to corner first using the ice picks to hold it, then advance around the top alternating from side to side and front to back. The ice picks make a smaller hole then the tacks and you can start the tack in the hole without mashing your finger or using needle nosed pliers. I also went to the hardware store and bought tacks one eighth inch longer than those supplied with the kit. It didn't seem like the ones supplied were long enough to hold over time.

N. Reed
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

My uncle had gotten a pneumatic stapler from Northern and probably put 15,000 staples through without any problems. He was pleased with it. You could also try Harbor Freight and see what they have. Just my $.02

Red