The Deck

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

The Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I finally found a deck and cab for my project and brought it home in two loads. I had planned on an Express Bed, but my youngest (who will inherit the rig) Insisted on a rack truck. I am thinking this is a later bed as the rear most stake pockets are internal rather than external. I am short of stakes, and racks, but I may know of a stash not far from me. Here are some pics to show:
This truck also came equipped with the primary secondary U-joints on the coupling shaft:
Strange little Auto greaser on the water pump:
The brakes were pretty schetchy with farmer fixes all over her:
The other mystery is how the block came to be numbered the same as the frame, as the engine is a Diamond block, and I was under the impression they were used in Industrial/Farm unit applications.(Wrong?)
The P/O said this truck had served overseas at one time and she sported some Egyptian writing on the doors. Sadly he did not photo graph the artwork.
I have found Green, Yellow, Baby Blue, Black, and lastly Army Olive drab paint on the cab pieces, so she's had a few previous masters.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: The Deck

Post by Neil Wilson »

The platform is a 187-A (based on the dimensions you indicate). This is for the AA131 from 3/31-2/32.

The engine was likely stamped with the original engine ID when replaced. Does the engine ID have the AA prefix and a star on each end?
Regards, Neil Wilson
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

lucky find that is a nice unit , put em together !!
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Never seen a pressed steel bearing retainer on the transmission like that.

Bob
SSsssteamer
Body Type: AA stake bed
Model Year: 1930

Post by SSsssteamer »

Your stake bed has to be the correct bed for your AA because it will not fit 1932 and later because their frame rails were parallel. Pat Farrell...Sedro Woolley, WA
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I'll get the engine number and frame number next time I am down at the farm.
Also plan to take detailed shots of the bed for restoration work (Man they is a lotta bolts in dat deck!)
I also have not seen that bearing retainer/U-joint housing combo before. I'll take some detailed shots of that for the curious as well.
Is there a source for the six u-bolts securing the bed to the frame?
Seems I did not get them and have not a clue as to what they would look like on this thirty one.
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

I believe the steel adapter in question was used to attach the outer housing of the new BB style removable coupling shaft assembly (as shown in the July 1932 Service Bulletins) to the AA four speed transmission. These coulping shaft assemblies were made available as a service replacement for the AA's so a transmission, clutch or u-joints could be replaced without pulling the engine or the rear end. The BB's had a bigger diameter bolt pattern on the rear of the transmission where the outer housing attaches than the AA's did, thus the need for this adapter. I've found several of these over the years.

Keith