Confused on serial number stamped on Engine Block.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
carson
Body Type: Mail AA
Model Year: 1930

Confused on serial number stamped on Engine Block.

Post by carson »

I am preparing what I believe to be a 1931 Model AA mail truck for sale. I have never found any paperwork (title) on it so I was trying to cross reference the numbers stamped on the engine block. A little confused as to what they are telling me. Any help would be appreciated. Number is 80594 0010, the first letter may be an S but I am not sure. I realize I can lift the body to see what is on the frame but I would rather just sell the truck as is without the problems trying to view the numbers on the frame.

A little history:

This truck has been in the family for a very long time. It was originally located in Lake City Colorado where I was told it served as the mail delivery truck. A family member kept it there and we would load up in it once a year for the 4th of July parade and back in the shed it would go until the next year. It has been in my possession for over 30 years and stored in the back of a work shop covered with tarps. After all these years the time has come to finally sell it off. I pulled it out into the sun and with some TLC (that is Time Labor CASH) have it running again.
I wanted to accurately describe the truck for sale so the reason for asking about the serial numbers.
I will be putting this on ebay in a few days.

I would appreciate any help on what the serial numbers are telling you.
Thank you in advance for the help
carson

Re: Confused on serial number stamped on Engine Block.

Post by carson »

Link to more pictures

http://photobucket.com/mailtruck
jhokinson
Body Type: 2 1931 ''bugs''
Model Year: 1931

Post by jhokinson »

i would say that number was either re-stamped or some sort of ID number for an industrial use/rebuilder
carson

Post by carson »

Thank you for such a quick reply. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing the number is not standard and was not crazy for not finding use of it. I did quite a bit of research before posting and what is stamped compared to what was put on by Ford is obviously not close. Would one guess the 0010 is a machinist stamp for mill work?
Up until the 1970 time period this truck was located in a very active mining community. Those folks were Wizards in making do with what little they had. Your comment on industrial use would fit as this could have been salvage from a number of mining/mill applications the engine might have been part of. Regretfully those with knowledge of its history have long since pasted on; and the memories have faded from the few still living.
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by macswoods »

where are you located ? Let us know when you list the truck on ebay mac.....
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

carson:

Per chance, do you have any missing pieces of the body? If so, I suggest that you include photos of them when you list the truck for sale on Ebay. Even if the pieces aren't useable, they might be good as patterns.

Good luck with you sale!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by miner art »

Old mine you say?,Hmmmm,any old mining equipment go with it? :roll: Always wondered what T.L.C. meant!!
A
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Do you have a close up picture of the drivers side wiper motor, I've been looking for
one for my mail truck.

Bob
carson

Post by carson »

macswoods wrote:where are you located ? Let us know when you list the truck on ebay mac.....
do google search for 750 Wichita Street, Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
carson

Post by carson »

Drew Mashburn wrote:carson:

Per chance, do you have any missing pieces of the body? If so, I suggest that you include photos of them when you list the truck for sale on Ebay. Even if the pieces aren't useable, they might be good as patterns.

Good luck with you sale!
-- Drew
No; only the truck as you see it. It was not until I brought it to Texas I was made aware it was once a mail truck. In transit a fellow saw it loaded on the trailer, followed me to the next stop and told me what it was.
Later the same fellow showed up to photo and copy some of the parts, many are missing but the ones left are correct for the time period (what he told).
All that was 30 plus years ago.
carson

Post by carson »

miner art wrote:Old mine you say?,Hmmmm,any old mining equipment go with it? :roll: Always wondered what T.L.C. meant!!
A
No just the truck remains.
carson

Post by carson »

Bob C wrote:Do you have a close up picture of the drivers side wiper motor, I've been looking for
one for my mail truck.

Bob
Your timing is good, I have the truck in the shop next door and a camera on my desk. Uploaded these, I have no idea what was added to the truck. I can say the truck appears now as it did around 1970 when I first saw it.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... mix/wiper/
carson

Post by carson »

A question for the group.

I want to be correct when listing the truck.. would it be correct to say this is a 1931 Model AA? I could lift the cab to view what is on the frame, but would rather not if I did not have to.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The tail end of the frame shows it is the 1931 AA frame which started production in March 1931.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by spdway1 »

Where is that number stamped on the block? I am confused because I don't see the head gasket, unless it is just out of the picture.