Drive Train Problems

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Vicky
Model Year: 1930

Drive Train Problems

Post by Vicky »

Hi Everyone -

I have some severe damage in my ’30 drive train and I would like to avoid having it happen again!

I know I’ll need the complete coupling shaft as the female gears are worn and the U Joint destroyed. I’ll believe I’ll also need the male gear that goes on the tranny shaft.

Also, the spring, screw, washer are missing - I don’t remember if they were missing when I first did the truck in the 80s. But I cannot image I would not put parts back if they were there.

There is also damage to the rear end housing – I sure hope that doesn’t need to be replaced!

The roller bearing in the Torque Tube self destructed - I assume the piece at the bottom of the sleve is the other part of the bearing.How do I get that out?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Vicky

Pictures are below.
Attachments
Coup Shft Male Gear Lo res.JPG
Coup Shft Male Gear Lo res.JPG (34.43 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
Rear End Housing.JPG
Rear End Housing.JPG (79.71 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
Torque Tube sleve.JPG
Torque Tube sleve.JPG (55.46 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Drive Shaft roller bearing sleeve removal

Post by Neil Wilson »

Vicky,
The third picture below shows the drive shaft bearing parts. The AA-4686 is a grease retainer which is inserted first into the torque tube (from the front end). The grease retainer and AA-4655 sleeve must be driven out the front of the torque tube from the rear using a tool (fitting) on a length of pipe which extends out about 6" longer than the rear of the torque tube.

I made the tool (fitting) as shown in pictures 2 and 1 below.

The fitting and pipe are inserted from the rear end of the torque tube. With the rear end of the pipe on the floor, the torque tube can be raised up about 6" and then dropped resulting in the fitting pushing the grease retainer and sleeve out the front.

Place a piece of plywood on the floor so that the floor and torque tube are not damaged. The grease retainer will have to be replaced.
Attachments
drive shaft bearing parts
drive shaft bearing parts
xDrive Shaft - bearing parts 1b.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
drive shaft grease retainer and bearing sleeve removal tool - grease retainer end
drive shaft grease retainer and bearing sleeve removal tool - grease retainer end
Drive Shaft - bearing sleeve removal tool 1.jpg (56.16 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
drive shaft grease retainer and bearing sleeve removal tool - floor end
drive shaft grease retainer and bearing sleeve removal tool - floor end
Drive Shaft - bearing sleeve removal tool 2.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Thanks, Neil. Your pictures are marvelous - I hope you're planning to do a book on the AA! Do you have to do them each time someone asks a question or do you have them already done?

Your tool looks simple enough - I'll get the parts tomorrow

What do you think about that rear end housing?

Thanks a lot for your time and patience!

Vicky
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Vicky,
I had to take the pictures of the drive shaft bearings and the tool. The tool was a result of questions from another AA'er asking how to get the grease seal and sleeve out. So, my research ended with the tool shown. I will not have the pictures for future use.

The tool (fitting) is sold for removing the grease seal and sleeve for an A. However, it is too small to work for the AA. I bought the A tool and then determined the problem.

I could not figure out what I was looking at in your picture of the rear end housing. I am not sure if it is the rear of the torque tube or the axle housing??? And, does your truck have a worm drive or bevel axle?
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Neil, I think that one picture is the pinion gear pilot bearing in a
bevel gear rear end.
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

DRIVE TRAIN

Post by Mike in Maine »

Vicky,
I take it that you are pointing to the casting around the pinion pilot bearing. It does appear to be chewed up. If you have all the teeth on ring and pinion and no chunks of metal in the carrier you should be ok. Look for any cracks around the pilot bearing ledge. From what I can see in your picture it appears as this differential has been apart before. There a two bolts holding the pilot bearing plate. Those are not original. The plate was held in by rivets originally. You may be looking at past damage.
Regards,Mike
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

drive train

Post by Mike in Maine »

Vicky,
I should add that you need to take out the pilot bearing and race and check for cracks in the housing.
Mike
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Thanks a lot, everyone.

I'll go down and see what I have and report back.

Vicky