Leaking rear axle seal

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Leaking rear axle seal

Post by AAholic »

Could it be my new rear axle seal is leaking because it is riding on the key way?
Could it be the axle does not extend out far enough? (there's no problem installing the cotter pin through the castle nut and no appreciable lateral movement of the axle shaft )
Is it possible there's one too many shims in the wrong place or is it that the (Snyder's) seal is not the right design? doesn't sit back far enough in the bore? haven't compared it to the other axle yet.
IMG_6365.jpg
IMG_6365.jpg (16.38 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: Leaking rear axle seal

Post by Bob C »

I looked at one I have and it's the same way, doesn't seem right though.

Bob
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

At best it seems that it's held to very close tolerances, I measured 5-7/8" from the end of the axle to the end of the housing (minus the seal). The end of the key-way is also 5-7/8" from the end of the shaft.

The lip of the seal is recessed about a 1/4" from the rear shoulder of the seal (which lines up with the end of the housing ) theoretically it should work so why are the shoes oily?

John
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

If your shoes are oily wouldn't it be the seal in the hub that is leaking?
Do your seals look like the ones in the pictures, if so do they have a manufactures
part number on them, not a Ford part number.

Bob
Attachments
DCP_0912.JPG
DCP_0912.JPG (41.63 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
DCP_0909.JPG
DCP_0909.JPG (24.84 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

I guess the hub seal would have to be leaking also? but couldn't the source still be a leaking axle seal as well. Wouldn't gear oil show up at the hub seal.

my axle seals are new neoprene seals from snyder's the hub seals are "new"replacement leather seals also from snyder's

the old leather seal that I replaced ( the one on the right in the photo) has no number on it but it appears to seal further back than the new replacement (on the left in the photo)
Attachments
IMG_6373.jpg
IMG_6373.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
1 Last Load
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by 1 Last Load »

The Snyder seals I purchased for my 30 AA were about .013 to large on the O.D. and I had to turn them down to get a light press fit. No problems so far after about 40 miles.