Spring Shackle / Perch Question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
HKDude
Body Type: Platform
Model Year: 1929

Spring Shackle / Perch Question

Post by HKDude »

Is there a special spring shackle or perch for the 29 AA?

I'm rebuilding my front spring and looking at the shackles / perches. The shackle that I have fits perfectly into the spring. However, the other side that connects to the perch, the shackle is too long and there is an excessive amount of play coming through the perch. To remedy this there is a small bushing on the perch. Both sides of the vehicle have this bushing between the shackle and perch.

I really can't believe that bushing is factory but I have no point of reference since that is the way it came off my truck. This looks wrong to me... I can't find any reference to this in Schild's manual either. I suspect there is a special perch or shackle for the AA . Can sombody confirm?

If this is confusing, let me know and I'll post a digital pic for clarification.
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

29 Front Spring Perch

Post by E.Moore »

I wonder if you have a 30/31 front spring that you are trying to install in 28/29 perches. The 30/31 front springs are approx 2" wide. The rear passenger car perch shackles are the same as the front 30/31 springs & perches.

There are special 28/29 front spring perches that have AA in raised letters on them for the truck. I have a pair of NOS for sale for $400.00
HKDude

Post by HKDude »

Ok... It looks like I have a 14 leaf front spring which was apparently a heavy duty option on the 1930 131 1/2 inch wheelbase. The problem is I have a 1929 so, in theory, I shouldn't have that spring. I've also spent the last couple weeks working on restoring the individual springs...

I had some major issues with my front cross member and I'm wondering if that spring was put in there at some point in the past along with the bushings to "make it work". I can't believe that it would have been easier to steer and that explains the extensive wear in perches.
HKDude

Post by HKDude »

Ok upon further review it looks like the 14 leaf heavy duty spring (AA-5310-D) for the front is correct. I realized I should check the rear and found I have the 16 leaf heavy duty springs (AA-5560-G). At first I thought the wrong front spring was put in during a repair but I doubt the rear springs would have been changed too. That seems to indicate that the heavy duty springs are correct for my vehicle.

So I still need to figure out how this is supposed to attach to the truck. I've attached a picture what I have right now. The spring perches are stamped as AA perches. Any ideas / suggestions?
Attachments
p1010062.jpg
p1010062.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

SHACKLE/PERCH

Post by Mike in Maine »

Hi HKDude,
Is this what you are looking for? Picture taken from front of truck. Long stud goes down through wishbone and axle.
Mike
Attachments
AA-FRT-AXLE-005-copy.jpg
AA-FRT-AXLE-005-copy.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 7116 times
Robert Gray
Model Year: 1930

Post by Robert Gray »

Is the problem that the shackle is too long for the perch? I am going to look thru my pile and see if I have any perches with a longer shackle rcvr.
HKDude

Post by HKDude »

Robert -- Yes, that is exactly the problem. My shackle fits the spring perfectly but is too long for the perch. I either need a shackle that has two different size bolts or the AA perch receiver needs to be wider. I know that crazy bushing can't be right.

My spring perch looks completely different than the one Mike posted...
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

HKDude, The perch you have is the passanger car type used on the
'28-E29 and the spring is probably for a L29-'31. Does your frame have
holes for mounting front shocks?
HKDude

Post by HKDude »

Yes it does. Althought it only came with the one shown...
Attachments
29aaFrontFrame.jpg
29aaFrontFrame.jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 7083 times
HKDude

Post by HKDude »

Ok mystery resolved. As you can see from the top picture, my original front cross member had issues. At some point that was cut out so the bigger front spring could be put on the truck. This caused the need for the wacky bushing because the spring shackles were too long. If I replace the front spring with the standard 10 leaf then everything on the front end will work fine.

I'm confident that this is how the truck should be. The spindle bearing is on the top and this is the only way I can put it back together with the king pins and axle that I have. The spring perches are stamped AA, and the spindles are also stamped truck.

On to the next problem...