Newbie intro and dimensions question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ndnchf
Model Year: 1930

Newbie intro and dimensions question

Post by ndnchf »

Hello Fellas,
I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time to register and say Hi. About 25 + years ago I had a 31 model A pickup. Other trucks have come and gone since. But lately I've been thinking about another oldie. I really like the looks of the AA, a beefy beast it is. Speed is not a priority to me, so I've been looking at A pickups, T pickups, TTs and AAs. I just want something fun to play with.

I really like the bigger trucks, but I'm limited to the size of my garage. Can anyone give the approximatel length, width and height of a 131" WB stake truck? My garage door is about 80" high and I've got about 20' available length inside.

I'm in Fredericksburg Virginia, anybody know of a good affordable, "driver" quality truck in the mid-atlantic area?

Thanks,
Steve
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Re: Newbie intro and dimensions question

Post by rollingsculpture »

my 31 stakebed is 6ft 9 inch wide and 17ft 5 inch bumper to end of truck bed as it sits i have aprx 4inches between cab back and front of the bed boards i thank it should be 2 inches closer but it keeps things from mashing the cab back as i do use the truck .
Attachments
cowboy haulin again.jpg
cowboy haulin again.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 7394 times
pavers .jpg
pavers .jpg (54.15 KiB) Viewed 7394 times
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

Welcome to the forum.
AA's and even BB's can be found at a reasonable price. Check this forum, fordbarn, ebay, craigslist etc. Good deals on big iron are out there, just be patient and you will find the one for you.
Best of luck.
Tom H
P.S interesting racks on the back of Rollingsculptures' truck.
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Thanks for the replies. While it would be tight, I think I could get a swb truck into the garage. I've been looking at all the usual sites mentioned, but it seems that the standard asking price for a good driver is around $15k. That's just more thank I want to spend. I've seen a couple more reasonably priced trucks, but they always seem to be a zillion miles away from Virginia. Minnesota seems to be inundated with old trucks as does the left coast. There was a nice AA on craigslist in Maryland 2 weeks ago for around $9k, but it must have sold quickly since my emails went unanswered. But I'll continue to beat the bushes. Thanks - Steve
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I have an early '30 Stakebed and my garage is about the same dimesions. It fits, but I have to hold the garage door open a bit more when pulling in or out. We got our truck about 15 yrs ago for under $6K from a bank in Iowa that had foreclosed on it in a farm sale. They're out there, just be patient, keep watching and be ready to jump when you find a good one. Your possibilities will expand with the radius you're willing to go to pick it up. We live outside Philadelphia, but our daughter works outside Fredricksburg.
giffs30
Body Type: aa flatbed

Post by giffs30 »

check out craigslist rochester ny ford model aa 1929 dump truck, price is right just have to drive a bit
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Here is a nice, cheap one on Craig's List.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

All:

I just went to the Rochester, New York Craigslist and took a took a look-see at the Dumptruck that was mentioned above. It looks like a sweet ride for an asking price of only $5k. A guy/gal can always offer less. I'd snatch it up in a sec, if I didn't live clear across the good ol' U.S. of A. from it! When you go to the "search" box on Craigslist, be sure to type in "Ford Model AA". It won't come up with only "Ford Model A" typed into the box. If anybody on this forum snags it, please let us know more about it.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

I am trying to buy it, please don't pull the carpet out from under me just yet!! :shock:
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

There are lots of them on Craig's List.
http://www.adhuntr.com/2012/05/all.html ... &y=13#1953
rollingsculpture

is that a misprint 5k ???? someone needs to buy that truck

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/3126742666.html
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Wow -that Ad Hunt'r is great, there are quite a few reasonably priced AAs. I'll keep watching it - thanks.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

I perfer searchtempest.com
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Can anyone measure and post the height of their truck at the cab? if possible, I'd like to get the height of both a '28/'29 and a late '30-'31. This will help me decide what to look for.
Thanks - Steve
rollingsculpture

heres some handy drawings for the 30-31 measurment on my 31 is apprx 74.5 inches from the ground to the top of the rear of the cab on an irregular surface so give or take .5 in
Attachments
aa chassis dimensions 30-31.jpg
aa chassis dimensions 30-31.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 7154 times
aa body dimensions 30-31.jpg
aa body dimensions 30-31.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 7154 times