1930/1931 Rear Spare Carrier Wanted For 157 WB

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Post by E.Moore »

Additional Photos
Attachments
MVC-007E.JPG
MVC-007E.JPG (10.67 KiB) Viewed 8602 times
MVC-008E.JPG
MVC-008E.JPG (10.59 KiB) Viewed 8602 times
MVC-009E.JPG
MVC-009E.JPG (11.8 KiB) Viewed 8602 times
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Additional Photos
Attachments
MVC-010E.JPG
MVC-010E.JPG (7.83 KiB) Viewed 8598 times
MVC-011E.JPG
MVC-011E.JPG (14.38 KiB) Viewed 8599 times
MVC-012E.JPG
MVC-012E.JPG (10.08 KiB) Viewed 8599 times
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Additional Photos
Attachments
MVC-013E.JPG
MVC-013E.JPG (8.01 KiB) Viewed 8593 times
MVC-014E.JPG
MVC-014E.JPG (10.15 KiB) Viewed 8593 times
MVC-015E.JPG
MVC-015E.JPG (11.7 KiB) Viewed 8593 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Eric,
The wheel stops for my AA157 are not attached. I would be willing to send these to you so that you can duplicate or I can take pictures of them. Let me know.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Neil,
Could you post pictures and dimensions of your wheel stops as I'm trying to come up with a spare tire carrier for my LWB. I have a carrier off of a '31
SWB, if I can fabricate some long hinges like in Erics picture will the SWB carrier work?

Bob
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob,
The '31 LWB (parallel frame) wheel carrier strap assembly should be 36" long.

The lengths of the '30 through '31 SWB wheel carrier strap assemblies are each 33" long and will not fit properly on the '31 LWB (parallel frame).

Attached are drawings of the wheel stops. Send me an e-mail (wilsmor@juno.com) and I can send you a higher resolution if you can't read the deminsion in the attached.
Attachments
Left stop
Left stop
AA-1499 Spare wheel stop - LH.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
Right stop
Right stop
AA-1498 Spare wheel stop - RH.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 8578 times
Center stop
Center stop
AA-1496 Spare wheel stop - center.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 8578 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

AA 157 Spare Wheel Stops

Post by E.Moore »

Neil, I temporarily bolted the original left side wheel stop to the frame and tried to raise the spare, but the wheel stop strikes the tire, making it impossible to completely raise the spare. See attached photos. Any Ideas?
Attachments
MVC-002E.JPG
MVC-002E.JPG (12.05 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
MVC-003E.JPG
MVC-003E.JPG (10.21 KiB) Viewed 8561 times
MVC-004E.JPG
MVC-004E.JPG (8.81 KiB) Viewed 8561 times
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Eric,
It looks like I should have fit the wheel stops to my frame to check things out just like you are doing!

I have made a drawing with some dimensions (all from the inside of the frame. How do these dimensions compare to your setup??? I am finding that the carrier I have will not place the wheel in the center of the frame. So, it seems that the side stops should be different sizes.

The side wheel stops should hit the wheel (not the tire). What length of side stops would be required to make the stops hit the wheel rather than the tire? How does the center stop compare to your center stop?
Attachments
Spare wheel carrier - dimensions.jpg
Spare wheel carrier - dimensions.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 8553 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Spare Tire Carrier

Post by E.Moore »

Neil, I've been out of town on business for the last 2 weeks. Yes, the side stops are different. Your front stop is exactly like the one on my chassis. The wheel stops borrowed from you are bent, apparently while they were still on the chassis, from mishandling somewhere down the line since 1931. The right side is bent more than the left one. Do you want me to straighten the right wheel stop? I believe that once the wheel stops are bent correctly, the left side will miss the tire and contact the wheel. I'll get some more pictures out this weekend.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Eric,
Yea, fell free to do some bending to see if you can fit the stops to the wheel. I will be very interested in hearing what you find! They should curve down enough to form a level plane with the center stop. The center line of the left and right wheel stops are 2-3/4” back of the wheel carrier center line. This seems to explain why the ends of the left/right stops are twisted to fit the wheel rim flange off center.

The carrier design is such that the wheel is not centered between the frame side members by about 5/8” (roughly). Given this, then the right wheel stop should extent toward the inside of the frame 5/8” more than the left wheel stop. This assumes that the carrier hinges are on the left as shown in the drawing above and on your truck.

If the carrier were reversed so that the hinges are on the right, then it seems that the stops would not fit. They could not be swapped side to side and still have the twisted end hit the wheel flange in the correct direction. However, in the Ford archive pictures of the 1931 AA157 Express truck, the carrier is mounted with the hinges on the right side. I can kind of make out the wheel stops and they appear to curve down to about a 45 degree angle. The stops which I sent you are bend down at almost 90 degrees.

Bud Valerius has been doing some analysis on this subject. He believes that these wheel stops should curve forward as well as being curved down. It could be that they should curve forward 2-3/4” of less. After playing with my wheel stop drawings, I don’t believe this will work unless the twisted ends were also changed!

It sure would be great to find an original AA157 with the stops installed!
Regards, Neil Wilson

AA 157 Wheel Stops

Post by E.Moore »

Neil, Here are a few more photos. The one with the paint stick shows the right wheel stop bent too far forward. The paint stick is parallel against the wheel stop as it is bolted to the frame. The end of the wheel stop that is ground at an angle is at the the wrong angle to the wheel as it is.

I believe that once the right side wheel stop is straightened, the end angle will fit against the wheel rim correctly. The left side appears to be bent too far down, causing the left wheel stop to interfere with the tire as the spare is lifted.

The left wheel stop is parallel from tip to tip. It is not bent forward the way the right wheel stop appears.

The only way I could lift the spare tire up to the swivel nut was to loosen the spare wheel completely from the carrier and move it out of the way of the left wheel stop when the carrier was raised.

With the wheel stops being bent, there is too much tension on the wheel rim, and the wheel will not center itself on the carrier.

The left wheel stop as it is, is pulling the wheel rim too far to the left framerail. I believe that opening the radius of the left wheel stop will allow the wheel rim to be able to be centered on the carrier, also allowing the left wheel stop to miss the tire during raising of the carrier.

The right wheel stop as it is now, is putting too much tension against the wheel rim because the end with the ground angle where it contacts the rim of the wheel stop is bent too far forward to the rear crossmember.
Attachments
Wheel Stops 1.jpg
Wheel Stops 1.jpg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
Wheel Stops 2.jpg
Wheel Stops 2.jpg (77.01 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
Wheel Stops 3.jpg
Wheel Stops 3.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
E.Moore

AA Wheel Stops

Post by E.Moore »

additional photos
Attachments
Wheel Stops 4.jpg
Wheel Stops 4.jpg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
Wheel Stops 5.jpg
Wheel Stops 5.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Eric,
Your pictures are worth a 1000 words (great). It looks like the left stop need the radius streached out further and the right stop made straight with the paint stick just as you indicate.

Sorry about sending these bent parts. Since you have them bolted to your frame, you are welcome to bend them for fit. That would be great. Let me know.

I am contacting an AA'er in Washington who has an AA157. He says that he has the wheel stops on his truck. So, I am hoping to get pictures from him.
Regards, Neil Wilson

AA Spare Wheel Stops

Post by E.Moore »

Neil, Once the left wheel stop radius was opened slightly, the tire now misses the wheel stop and fits good against the rim.

The right side was straightened without changing the radius. It was bolted to the chassis, but it sits on the rim close to the inside edge of the wheel rim. I don't want to change the radius because if the radius were slightly closed, the wheel rim would come against the right wheel stop as the spare carrier is raised, making it difficult to get the swivel nut over the carrier latch.

It looks like a slight adjustment of the carrier hinge will position the spare wheel a little bit toward the left frametrail, centering the rim against all three of the wheel stops.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll be out of town again next week, through next weekend, so it may be a couple of weeks before I can resume this task.
Attachments
Mvc-001f.jpg
Mvc-001f.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
Mvc-002f.jpg
Mvc-002f.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 8519 times
Mvc-003f.jpg
Mvc-003f.jpg (84.49 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Topic Moved

Post by mikeg »

I moved this topic into the "Discussion Forum" since it has become more of that than a 4 sale post. The orignal topic in 4sale will redirect you to the discussion form topic.