Leaking exhaust manifold.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
sonny
Body Type: bb
Model Year: 1932

Leaking exhaust manifold.

Post by sonny »

My exhaust manifold started leaking about 2 hr.s after initial start up which was after a total rebuild. After the first half hour, I shut it off and let it cool down for a few hours. I retorqued every thing and then ran it some more. After about another 1 1/2 hrs. it started leaking. I waited until the next day when everything was good and cooled down. Everthing was good and tight, still leaks. Can I double up the gaskets? Thanks.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Leaking exhaust manifold.

Post by Brian T »

Hello Sonny,
Doubling up the gaskets wont help if the manifold is badly warped, I am assuming the manifold is the one you took off before the rebuild, do not use the green asbestos type gasket, use the copper clad or single piece steel backed gasket.
If the manifold is sagged down at the #4 cylinder, (difficult to install on the studs) then it would be best to replace it, the replacements are of good quality.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

Sonny,
Did you use the metal inserts in the exhaust ports of the head? I had the same problem before I tried them, and they worked for me.
Tom H
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Sonny,
You mention that this was after a total rebuild. Did you have the manifold side of the block decked and the intake / exaust manifolds machined flat while bolted together?
Dave
------------
Dave