rear spring just needs a coat of black

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
scl009
Model Year: 1931

rear spring just needs a coat of black

Post by scl009 »

Finally finished getting one of my rear srpings back together, and I have to say it feels good.

The second isn't too far from done either, just gotta order spring pivot bushings and some shackle bolts to finish them up. Will the spring shackle bolt you can buy from synders fit both the top and bottom of the shackle, or are these bolts different in diamter? The bolts I could salvage from the old springs were both from the top of the spring hanger IE the bolts that screw into the hanger themselves without a nut. They don't seem to want to fit in the bottom of the spring shackle through the eye of the leaf spring.

I didn't realize that the springs are longer to one side though. When I first put it on, the forward spring eye was way out front of the shackle, so i flipped it and it seems correct. Does that sound correct? Also is the shackle normally able to pivot greater than about 90 degrees? I feel like it should be able to rotate about 180 degrees before being interupted by the spring hanger. Debating about taking it off and refacing the insde of the shackle.

Sorry about all the little questions, and thanks for any help
Scott
Attachments
spring.JPG
spring.JPG (114.18 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: rear spring just needs a coat of black

Post by Neil Wilson »

Scott,
Both spring shackle bolts are the same (1" OD). All spring leaves have an off center hole. The long side of the leaves goes to the rear. The spring shackle should swing 45 degrees forward and back (i.e. 90 degrees total). It will never swing that far when flexing.

Make sure your rear seats do not have any up/down play when bolted to the axle (most need this problem resolved). If they have play, it would be like having a piston rod not fitting the crank snugly (not good).

Make sure your rear seats are for your '31 AA157 frame. The upper seat is unique to your AA. The grease fittings should be toward the inside of the truck.

The grease fitting on the pivot should be to the rear. It looks like you have the fitting toward the front.
Regards, Neil Wilson