terrible screeching in motor

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mike c
Model Year: 1930

terrible screeching in motor

Post by mike c »

hi all.. i went to fire up my 1930 aa today and i seem to have a terrible screeching coming from (it's hard to tell) i think under the distributor or upper rear of the motor.. any ideas what it could be? tomorrow i'll take the fan belt off and make sure it isn't the generator or water punp.. mike c
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: terrible screeching in motor

Post by Bob C »

Distributor bushings.

Bob
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

I will second that, you could pull the distributor and give the oiler 3-4 squirts of oil leave it upside down for an hour or so and rotate it a few times, even if this fixes it I would re bush it and instal a new shaft.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
mike c

Post by mike c »

yesterday i oiled the heck out of the distributor through the external oil hole...this morning a took the fan belt off the water pump and generator and ,,, you guessed it, no noise when i started truck... i put on a new fan belt as the old one was bad and now --the truck is running like your watch.....yesterday i removed the distributor cap, body, center screw, points plate, and the set screw and nut on the shaft....and nothing budged...how would i get it to come out??. i admit i have never oiled the distributor in 1 and 1/2 years i have owned the truck..live and learn...thanks mike
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Post by mbailout2 »

It's more than likely your distributor shaft is just rusted into the head. put some rust freeing agent or oil around the base of the distributor and let it sit awhile and then just pry it loose. Whatever tool you use, pry on opposite sides of the distributor at the same time using a gentle rocking motion. :)