Mallory Distributor

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
JEFF I
Body Type: Dump & Flatbed
Model Year: 1931

Mallory Distributor

Post by JEFF I »

I just bought a 1931 AA with a Mallory Distributor , it hasn't ran in years. There's no hook up lever to attach the spark advance/retard arm to the distributor , no vaccum advance either. Is anyone familar with this set up ? Does it have mechanical advance built inside ? It looks in good condition.
Attachments
Mallory Distributor.jpg
Mallory Distributor.jpg (167.97 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body
Model Year: 1930

Re: Mallory Distributor

Post by mbailout2 »

The old Mallory distributors used a mechanical advance system using counterweights in the distributor that advanced the timing as the engine rpm increased. Rotating the distributor at idle to the correct timing for your engine, and as rpm increases the timing will increase up to 24 degrees
( most old Mallorys) I don't know what rpm will max out the advance to 24 degrees. :? Don't know if this will help you as I am more familiar with the old Mallorys on an eight cylinder engine, but I think the 24 degrees was almost standard for the old Mallorys with the mechanical advance. :)
JEFF I
Body Type: Dump & Flatbed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Mallory Distributor

Post by JEFF I »

Thanks for the info. I did get it running today after replacing the condenser , it seems to work fine.