Driving Molly with a Zenith 2 Carburetor verses a Weber Carb

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body
Model Year: 1930

Driving Molly with a Zenith 2 Carburetor verses a Weber Carb

Post by mbailout2 »

After driving Molly for 2 years with a Weber Carb, It was definitely a new experience with the Zenith 2 Carb.
The Zenith Carb gave me some trouble initially. I bought in on Ebay as a rebuilt (not) for $140.00. It was cleaned and painted and that’s about it. The float wasn’t even attached. I attached what was supposed to be attached, aligned the float level and checked the jets. Installed on Molly and when turned the fuel on, it leaked all over the place. Took it off and apart, ordered a new float valve and gasket kit. Parts arrive and installed, put Carb back on Molly. Fuel didn’t leak as before but did leak somewhat, after sitting 15 minutes with the fuel valve on, even with the new float valve. Took the Carb off and apart again. Rinsed the float valve with lacquer thinner and put it all together (tightly) and back on Molly. That stopped the leaking. Took Molly for a test drive and when stopping or turning, the engine would die. Back to the garage. Took the Carb off and apart again, and shimmed the Main jet and Cap jet to a higher tip elevation in the venturi and in the middle of the venturi curve. It did the trick.
Now for the driving difference;
The weber of course is more responsive and gives the engine a little more “umph”. I also could adjust the idle speed lower than with the Zenith.
With the Weber, I could sustain a highway speed of 45 – 50 MPH. I could push it to 55 MPH but there’s too much gear noise, so 45-48 is the speed I drove her.

With the Zenith 2 Carb, low end was “almost” as good as the Weber, with the exception of climbing hills and that I needed to run a higher idle speed to keep her from stalling when stopping. Panic breaking would definitely stall her at any idle speed. On the highway it’s a total different story. It’s a slower acceleration with the Zenith and she topped out at 46 MPH on the flats. That’s with the pedal to the metal. I don’t get any popping or backfiring with this Zenith, like I remember with the zenith I had two years ago prior to the Weber Carb.

The one negative about the Weber Carb, was the carbon buildup on the plugs (and in the cylinders) and so I eventually ran W20 Champion plugs which are the hottest plugs you can get for that engine.

Hope you enjoyed this little article about the facts of life? :roll:
spdway1

Re: Driving Molly with a Zenith 2 Carburetor verses a Weber

Post by spdway1 »

Sounds like to me your rebuilt Zenith 2 was still not adjusted right if it was stalling... :idea:
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Post by mbailout2 »

The Zenith Carb can't help itself. The fuel in the fuel bowl is not contained, and when wave action occurs in the fuel bowl, the fuel is pushed out through the main jet and cap jet, flooding the carb. and stalling the engine. The trick is getting the float at the right level where the fuel in the bowl is below the tip of the main jet, and the jets are high enough so any minor wave action won't push fuel out into the venturi.
I believe I've got a good compromise between the two where a minimum of fuel is pushed into the venturi when stopping. Now I drive Molly like I would a regular truck. I stop and go somewhat fast and with the Weber Carb that has a contained fuel system, it's not a problem.
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

Did you by chance check the jet size on the jets? Ive had them come undersized before. I have never had any issues with the zeniths if everything is to spec.Acceleration is slow, but that its to be expected with a 40 hp engine :P. Pulling heavy loads up 9-12% grades I would need to crank the main jet open sometimes 2 turns to get the torque up so I didnt have to downshift and become perpetually stuck in that gear. and with hi speed rear, I got her up to 50 on a 1% grade, WOT.(No load) :lol:
that being said I will take a zenith anyday over a tillotsen. Much more durable and better all over performance. Id love to get my beast running again and try a couple of slide carbs! (I bet a couple of miccunnis (Sp) would work wonders. get rid of the ramshorn restriction.
Special Coupe Frank

Post by Special Coupe Frank »

Has anyone tried running a Zenith from a Model B / C , with the vacuum operated power-jet circuit ?

How about dual Zeniths ?

Larger intake with Carter BB 1 updraft ?

Seems like the original intake is a major limitation / restriction.

SC Frank
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

I think you could make a small shroud/baffle that goes around and extends below the jet. make it out of a thin washer and a strip of sheet metal nor tubing.

That's what I used on dirt bikes to keep the engine from balking when going over rough terrain and all dirt bikes have them now.

It will cure the carb from starving for fuel.