28 Express roadster

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

28 Express roadster

Post by Brian T »

I Saw this AA express roadster yesterday at the Paradise Valley As swap meet in San Bernardino Ca, as I approached it, it appeared to be an A pick up, I have never seen one for real, they look so much smaller.
I have a few pics and a few questions for Neil that may help one of us if looking for an express roadster and does not want to get stuck with a pig in a poke.
The wheel well inside the bed appears natural, I saw no rear fender brace? the tailgate has 3 hinges which I believe is correct, the general condition was fair, but as someone here remarked once, was not without a few warts.
Attachments
EXPRESS BED REAR FENDER.JPG
EXPRESS BED REAR FENDER.JPG (93.5 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
EXPRESS BED.JPG
EXPRESS BED.JPG (90.5 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
EXPRESS BED WHEEL WELL.JPG
EXPRESS BED WHEEL WELL.JPG (89.5 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Open Cab Express

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Brian,
The cab would be an "open cab" not a "roadster". The express body looks to be the 89-A given the wheel well and center pocket I can see. There should be rear fender brackets. The bracket sold on Ebay last week would be the correct one (went for about $140 + shipping).

The tail gate is for a TT express. Note how the two outside gate hinges are about 1" inside of the corresponding body hinges. The TT gate would need to have the outside hinges move to make a correct conversion. The location of the hinges on the body and the sill brackets below the hinges also would be for an 89-A

Based on the color, my guess is that it is Jay Smith's express (see attached picture). And, I bet it is not for sale? If you have high resolution versions of your pictures, please email them to me and I will file them in Jay's folder on my computer.

A '28 AA would have the drum style tail lamp originally. I don't see any body to frame mounting straps (expensive and hard to find).
Attachments
89-A Jay Smith.jpg
89-A Jay Smith.jpg (227 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A

Re: 28 Express roadster

Post by gunmetal »

Thanks for sharing the pics Nell
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Re: 28 OPEN CAB EXPRESS

Post by Brian T »

Here are some more pics, and I stand corrected, "open cab" express it is, I now see the bolt in the rear fender for the brace, it was 105 deg as we were leaving at 11,30 when I saw this truck, I must have had some sweaty eye balls and missed it.
The pic you posted of what maybe Jays truck was taken at the Orange county breakfast, it must have been at least 4 years ago as I had not seen it, I am sorry I have no high res pics.
Attachments
28 OPEN CAB EXPRESS 2.JPG
28 OPEN CAB EXPRESS 2.JPG (81.3 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
28 OPEN CAB EXPRESS.JPG
28 OPEN CAB EXPRESS.JPG (81.69 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
28 OPEN CAB EXPRESS 1.JPG
28 OPEN CAB EXPRESS 1.JPG (100.92 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.