I'd like to introduce myself . . .

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
AA Express
Model Year: 1930

I'd like to introduce myself . . .

Post by AA Express »

. . . my name is Bob, I'm from MN. Here's my story. My wife purchased me a 1929 AA Express for my birthday. I told her I wanted an A truck from 1929. Little did she know it was a AA and a commercial hack with a top speed of 15 MPH. I must be honest, I was a bit disapointed when she told me (she can't keep a surprise) before receiving it (via CA). It'll take me days to get to meets or shows, I thought. Well, I got it and I like it. I'm the 3rd owner. Here's the story within the story. The truck was purchased by a produce vendor who used it to truck his goods back anf forth to his stand in near San Diego. It took him 3 days to travel the 90 miles to his farm. Upon his death in 1946 his brother used the truck for local delivery. Upon his death in 1971 it sat until an apraiser seen it in a garage, asked about it and bought it. He sold it to me. I'm excited about parades and Sunday drives. But, heres' where my luck (which is mostly bad) comes into play. I know nothing about this truck or any model A or AA vehicle. The transporter drove the truck off the trailer and parked it in my driveway. I have not been able to start it since. It turns over, fires, runs for a few seconds then stops. I don't know if I have the spark advance or throttle in the right spot. I contacted the previous owner and he swears that he has had no issues with it prior to me getting it. There are numerous parade and met badges in the cab. He did recommend cleaning out the fuel filter which I have done so. I'm thinking about removing and flushing the gas tank. Thanks for your time. Any info. would be appreciated.

Bob
Drew Mashburn

AA Express

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Bob:

You claim that you know zip about A's and AA's. So, no disrespect...but, have you turned on the gasoline valve that's located under the gastank inside the cab? It's about where the passenger's knees would be located.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
AA Express

Post by AA Express »

Non taken. Yes, I've turned the gas petcock on. I even left it on overnight causing gas to pool on my garage floor. A "nice" learning experience.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Post by mikeg »

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the forums.

You may have a "stone" filter at the carb end of the fuel line. If the truck has been sitting for a while you may want to be sure the fuel line is clear to the carb float bowl. Since you have a 29' the valve is in the cab so turn it off before you remove the fitting at the carb. Once you have done that take a look at the quality of the fuel that dribbles out, if it is clear your in luck. If rusty then put a suitable container underneath, or get a helper and then turn the valve on in the cab and check the quality of the fuel coming from the tank.

If the fuel is rusty then consider flushing with the tank in place, removing the tank isn't difficult but probably unecessary and once started you may end up discovering more things that need "fixing", I speak from experience, I was just going to rebuilt my flatbed and ended up doing a frame up restore (still have the sheet metal work yet to do) I'm into this project now 5 years but the entire running gear has been rebuilt, replace or overhauled.

If your fuel situation checks out, you may want to check the electrical side of things, namely the condensor, the condensor on these motors can be overheated and fried pretty easily, and replacing one is dead easy.

Also, don't forget the spark advance on the steering column, generally you retard the timing slightly to start the truck and then advance it once you are underway. There is also a air/fuel mixture nob on the same side as the fuel valve in the cab, you shouldn't have to fiddle with it too much once it is set up right, occasionaly I would adjust mine depending on the weather conditions.

You should pick up a copy of the 'Model "A" Instruction Book" it is a reprint of the book that came with the Model A car/trucks. Fairly handy for someone who isn't familar with the basic operating of these old rigs.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Post by mikeg »

Oh, one other thing. If there are any Model A clubs in your area you should hook up with them. Most if not all of the members would probably jump at the chance to help you out.

I just looked on the MAFCA (Model A Ford Club of America) and see there are two chapters in MN.

http://www.mafca.com/chapters/MN.html

Lady Slipper A's
2927 7th Ave NW
Rochester 55901

Twin City Model A Ford
9270 Syndicate Ave
Lexington 55014
Eldon Frisk
763-7698

There is a "MARC" (Model A Retorers Club) in your state as well,

http://www.modelaford.org/states/mn.html

Roger Welch
3920 NW 204th Lane
Anoka, MN 55303
763-753-4810
AA Express

Post by AA Express »

Thanks for the wonderful instruction a point in the right direction! I appreciate everything and everyone that takes time to reply.

Bob
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

With regard to the speed of your '29 AA express. If it had the high speed rear axle gears, then your crusing speed (on flat ground) would be about 40 mph.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

Bob
another issue that happens with Model A/ AA is that the cap on the tank gets blocked around the edge were the breathers are
it may allow the truck to start and the the flow of fuel will stop or slow.
just another suggestion

the guys on this site are very knowledgeable so keep posting if you have any other issues