Front Axle

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Front Axle

Post by Mike in Maine »

I think I need to put a stabilizer on my front axle. Anyone familiar with doing this. Mac's list one for a model A and I am told it will work on the AA. Would like some input before I make the move. Mike
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: Front Axle

Post by Bob C »

What problem are you having??

Bob
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

Post by Mike in Maine »

There are times when the front axle will start bouncing like a basketball. Left side up - right side down. Right side up - left side down. Have to stop truck and proceed again. It comes out of it and I continue on.
This will happen loaded and unloaded. Some days I can make a 40 mile trip and it will not happen. I can make several trips and it will not happen. It just does it when you do not expect. ?????
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Mike, Made sure that all the bushing are tight in the front end. Then I would take the two front tires to a truck tire shop and get the tires balanced and checked for out of round(knot). This should be the best way to solve your problem!! If you do this let us know your results, or what solves your problem. Hope this helps!!!! Shelby, Louisiana.

Mike,Check the tire air pressure to make sure it properly inflated. If setting without being moved these thick tires will get flat spots from setting. After the tires run for awhile and warms up the flat spot will disappear and will roll normal until next time it sets a few days.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

also check the ball on the wishbone that will allow shimmy to happen if its loose