Tip on books/printed resources for AA restoration

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

Tip on books/printed resources for AA restoration

Post by Boomer »

Hello, I'm new to this site and to AA's. My father-in-law and I are going to attempt to restore the AA his dad bought new in 1929. It has been sitting in a farm shed for at least the last 26 years. I would like to know which printed materials would be considered essential to make this as easy as possible. I understand from reading the other posts on this forum that easy might be a poor choice of words. Any help would be appreciated, though. Thanks in advance,
Drew
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Drew,
Restoring an AA is basically the same as restoring an A. Much of an AA consists of A parts. The major AA components which are different from the A are the frame, rear axle, and cargo body. And, starting in late '29, the AA had a four speed transmission. I don't know of specific restoration documentation of the AA components. If you have specific questions, then maybe this site can provide information.

For restoring the remaining A parts (engine, electrical components, sheet metal, cooling system, etc.) there is information available from the two national A clubs.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Drew,
You might want to get "Supplement to Restorer's Model A Shop Manual"
by Jim Schild.

Bob
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

book's

Post by Mike in Maine »

Drew, I have been working on my AA for two years now and have gotten a lot of help and ideas from this sight. Also, I could not do without the "Ford Service Bulletins 1928-1931". I think you would find this book most helpful for the A and AA info you may be looking for. Bob C had a good recommendation also. Neil is also right about all the AA'ers that will help.
Mike