Correct spare tire carrier lug nuts?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Correct spare tire carrier lug nuts?

Post by 1crosscut »

Are these the correct nuts for the spare tire carrier? The carrier doesn't look as if it has ever carried a spare on it. The nuts are 15/16" rather that the 1 1/8" tire lug nuts.
Attachments
DSC07747.JPG
DSC07747.JPG (246.03 KiB) Viewed 4399 times
------------
Dave
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B
Model Year: 1931

Re: Correct spare tire carrier lug nuts?

Post by rsierk »

These seem to be what the originals were like:
Attachments
0808060006r2.jpg
0808060006r2.jpg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

1crosscut, I looked in the members post and there are about 6 or 7 different lug nut used, your is one of them and so is the other one posted. There are also several different acorn styles used. Go to users posts and type in (spare tire carrier) then search
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

AA Wheel Carriers used the same size wheel bolt nuts as those used on the ground. For under body and under frame carriers the jam nut was the same hex size as the ground wheels. Consequent, only the supplied wheel nut wrench was needed to change a flat.

AA's had only right hand threaded wheel bolts until mid February 1929. Therefore the wheel bolt nuts were all right hand threaded. Starting late 1928 the 1-1/8" hex acorn style wheel bolt nut was introduced (without any "R" stamping). Prior to that the 15/16" wheel bolt nut was used (two designs). See attached.
Attachments
Hub Bolt Nuts 1.jpg
Hub Bolt Nuts 1.jpg (228.67 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Hayslip »

If one bought an early 1928 AA flatbed the company recalled them(more than once) and replaced the 15/16 lug nuts with 1-1/8. Since the 15/16 jam nut couldn't be run off one needed TWO starting handle/lug wrenches!
Hayslip
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The Ford recall (started Feb. 15, 1929) included an exchange of the crank/wrench from the 15/16" hex. to the 1-1/8" hex. Somewhere on my computer, I have all of the references to the change out of the front spindles. I am sure that the shops should have changed out the jam nuts on the under body/frame wheel carriers along with the carrier wheel nuts. I would guess that some AA's didn't get converted 100% correctly.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Great information. Now know that I have the A-21922 lug nuts on the spare tire carrier and the A-?????? carrier jam nut. I thought it was odd to have different sized lug nuts. I guess the recalls didn't get everything.
What is the purpose of the two holes directly above the carrier jam nut? Is there supposed to be a bolt or (?) through them?
Dave
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

I found my information on the Ford spindle replacement. Attached is one of the references which includes the replacement of the crank/wrench and the rear wheel nuts with AA-1120 right hand nuts. There is no mention of replacing the carrier jam nut or carrier wheel nuts.

If an "assembly line restoration" is the goal, then the spindle conversion would not be correct. If a '28 AA has left and right handed wheel nuts, then the conversion was made. I have converted my Feb. '28 AA back to original A spindles and will use the early wheel nuts (design 1).

The strap assembly end is designed to have a pad lock. A bolt would not low anyone down if they wanted the wheel/tire.
Attachments
Service Letter 29-07-24 page 1 crop 1b.jpg
Service Letter 29-07-24 page 1 crop 1b.jpg (198.57 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Ok then I'm thinking that this one didn't have the recall done either as it has the A-21922-B lug nuts and the spindles haven't been changed.

Was the lock used on the tire carrier an option from Ford?
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ford didn't provide the lock. I want to find out what a 1928-1930 lock would look like. It would be nice to have one just for looks. The AA side and fender carriers have a wheel stud with a hole for a lock.
Regards, Neil Wilson