Removal of rear brake drum

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
tomkline
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Removal of rear brake drum

Post by tomkline »

Can anyone give me any tips on removing the rear brake on a 31 AA? Is there a picture or a breakdown of all the parts that are in the rear brake assy? I am a newbie here. The wife and I just purchased the 31 AA back in Nov. We have the engine being overhauled and updated to new style bearings and valves. While the engine is out I have been cleaning and painting. Drained tranny and flushed. Have right rear wheel that does not turn very free, hoping that it is just rust and needs to be cleaned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: Removal of rear brake drum

Post by Bob C »

Look at this thread, it covers drum removal quite well. http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.ph ... brake+drum

Bob
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Where do you live? (I really wish you guys would correctly fill out your profile) I have the Gen U Wine Ford rear hub puller you could borrow if you wanted to come pick it up.
tomkline

Post by tomkline »

I am in NW Ohio
tomkline

Post by tomkline »

Got it apart with help of a hub puller that I had bought many years ago. Everything is greasey, the seal is bad. Can I clean up the brake lining some way? Drum looks real good.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

tomkline wrote:Got it apart with help of a hub puller that I had bought many years ago. Everything is greasey, the seal is bad. Can I clean up the brake lining some way? Drum looks real good.
I have had good luck washing them in gasoline to remove all you can. Then after they dry wash them again with brake cleaner.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:
tomkline wrote:Got it apart with help of a hub puller that I had bought many years ago. Everything is greasey, the seal is bad. Can I clean up the brake lining some way? Drum looks real good.
I have had good luck washing them in gasoline to remove all you can. Then after they dry wash them again with brake cleaner.
Ditto, although I used fresh cleaning solvent from the solvent tank, soaked for a good time then blow dry then brake clean.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

I think using gasoline as a parts cleaning solvent is inviting disaster. I usually scrape really dirty parts with a putty knife first. Then what Spectria said.
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

TomH wrote:I think using gasoline as a parts cleaning solvent is inviting disaster. I usually scrape really dirty parts with a putty knife first. Then what Spectria said.

I agree. But you can't find Cleaning Solvent (Mineral Spirits) in Los Angeles anymore.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:
TomH wrote:I think using gasoline as a parts cleaning solvent is inviting disaster. I usually scrape really dirty parts with a putty knife first. Then what Spectria said.
I agree. But you can't find Cleaning Solvent (Mineral Spirits) in Los Angeles anymore.
You're right Chris, can't get much with High VOC's anywhere in Cali anymore. I was referring to the stuff SafetyKleen used to put in my rental tank.

Since then I am using solvent from a drum I bought years ago. I think the Orange cleaner would work well.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

spectria wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:
You're right Chris, can't get much with High VOC's anywhere in Cali anymore. I was referring to the stuff SafetyKleen used to put in my rental tank.

Since then I am using solvent from a drum I bought years ago. I think the Orange cleaner would work well.

I bought a 55 gallon drum years ago. But it is now gone and I can't replace it. :cry:
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

I don't mean to hi-jack, but that is something for the rest of us to be aware of. Many times I have seen something start in California and move across the country. So what does Safety Kleen use ?
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

TomH wrote:I don't mean to hi-jack, but that is something for the rest of us to be aware of. Many times I have seen something start in California and move across the country. So what does Safety Kleen use ?

They now use a water and citrus based cleaner.