RUSTY WET LOOK

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

RUSTY WET LOOK

Post by Brian T »

I have seen that some Double Aers have kept there trucks with the wet rusty look, I have this drum that my son found which as added to all the other farm display stuff we have accumulated, I wanted to have it powder coated, my son and a few friends have said it should stay naturally rusty.
So my question is what did you use to achieve the wet rusty look, can it be sealed to stay that way?, I would also like to add a few oil decals to it, as anyone tried giving them that antique look.
Attachments
OIL DRUM 2.JPG
OIL DRUM 2.JPG (90.88 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Re: RUSTY WET LOOK

Post by flatford39 »

Rusty wet look that you refer to is known as patina. That oil drum you have has years and years of natural aging to create that patina. Including its wood base. I wouldn't do anything to it except keep it out of the weather. Only let it outside when you are displaying the truck. trying to duplicate natural patina has been tried by some but they all fall short from Mother Nature's results.

If you spray a clear coat on it you will destroy it in my mind. Don't see how you could get it to adhere anyway.

The wood base could probably survive some linseed oil as that is what would have been used back in the day to preserve it. I would do a very small sample on a part that is not very visible before oiling the whole thing.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Would this be the look you're wanting?
Dave
Attachments
DSC07626.JPG
DSC07626.JPG (132.55 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
------------
Dave
Chris Haynes
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Clear powder coat or clear enamel will keep it looking as it is. If you do nothing it will continue to rust and deteriorate.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

1crosscut wrote:Would this be the look you're wanting?
Dave
That's what I want, does it come with the truck?
:wink:
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

spectria wrote:
Dave

You get that WET look by oiling the truck. Then dust sticks to it. It drys out and you have to re-oil it. Flat Clear Enamel or powder coat is permanent.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Chris Haynes wrote:
spectria wrote:
Dave

You get that WET look by oiling the truck. Then dust sticks to it. It drys out and you have to re-oil it. Flat Clear Enamel or powder coat is permanent.
Actually no, what I did was to use a fine wire wheel on a drill then fine steel wool then finish with a coat or two of Johnsons Paste Wax with a light buff while out in the sun to warm the metal. Dust does not stick to it more that any other finish and can be wiped off with one of the car dusters available at automotive stores. Lately I have been using the Eagle One brand of spray on canuba wax as a quick way to spiff it up once in a while. The beauty of a finish like this is that if you get a scratch just a light buff with steel wool and some more paste wax and all is good again.

Brian - your barrel is a perfect candidate for something like this. Skip the wire wheel and just use the fine steel wool and paste wax. Put your decals on first though or you'll never get them to stick afterwards.

Dave
------------
Dave
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

In 1959 my Aunt had a '51 Studebaker Commander in a beautiful maroon color. She wanted it waxed, and took it to a l0cal gas station mutt who lathered the whole car down with kerosene... looked like a damn "Chia-Pet"
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

I would reccomend that you apply a mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. This will cover nicely, dry good, and preserve your metal. it can easily be reapplied as needed. Try it on a shovel or someting first. This is great for tools, parts, table saws, you name it. Any metal or wood can be protected this way. Linseed oil can be painted over, and if you really want to you can remove it easily too.

One of the big drawbacks to wax is that most waxes contain silicone, and you will never get paint to stick to it properly, or anything you unknowingly get the wax on.