two doors one hole?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
carnut14
Body Type: don't know
Model Year: 1929

two doors one hole?

Post by carnut14 »

speaking with my local AA experts (?) they tell me I need a 6 buck rubber plug to fill the hole in my right door. BECAUSE AA DOORS NEVER HAD LOCKS!

really? shouldn't the right door have a lock. As I don't have one I'm not sure.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: two doors one hole?

Post by Neil Wilson »

I can't tell from your carnut14 handle who you are? So, I can't look up your membership records to see what AA you have?

If you have an 82-A cab, then it didn't come with a right door lock (just a plug). If your have an 85-A, then there should be a lock. The doors for these two body types were carry over doors from the Model T (I think the Tudor which used a lock).
Regards, Neil Wilson
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Neil Wilson wrote:I can't tell from your carnut14 handle who you are? So, I can't look up your membership records to see what AA you have?

If you have an 82-A cab, then it didn't come with a right door lock (just a plug). If your have an 85-A, then there should be a lock. The doors for these two body types were carry over doors from the Model T (I think the Tudor which used a lock).
What about the 82b doors, lock, no lock, and do the early and T doors fit for 82b?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
carnut14

Post by carnut14 »

posted under the thread abut hole spacing in the bed strips is a photo of my big red truck. Is someone able to tell me what cab it is?
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

carnut14 wrote:posted under the thread abut hole spacing in the bed strips is a photo of my big red truck. Is someone able to tell me what cab it is?
Neil Wilson said ~~ "There is actually no 28/29 cab as such. This terminology is one of the biggest reasons that there is misunderstanding/confusion. There is the 82-A closed cab which was used through mid 1930 on AA's and A's. So, there is a 1927 through mid 1930 cab and should be referred to as a '27-'30 (or '28-'30) cab. This applies to the open cab as well. There is a '27-'30 open cab.
BTW - the AA did not get produced with an open cab until 5/28. The A did not get produced with a closed cab until 6/4/28.
Only some of the 82-A cabs came with a twist style gas tank cap. But certainly not all. More came with the screw on gas tank cab. The picture below show a '30 closed cab (82-A) platform truck.
x30 Platform 54544 - small.jpg
x30 Platform 54544 - small.jpg (97.27 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
"
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

carnut14, Your red AA truck has the 82-A closed cab.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

I always thought the door lock was only on the right side, and actually in the center of the door handle. Perhaps this is only in the after june of '30
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Bladehorse wrote:I always thought the door lock was only on the right side, and actually in the center of the door handle. Perhaps this is only in the after june of '30

You are correct. 82B had locks in the door handle.
carnut14

Post by carnut14 »

appears my enthusium for this subject has caused there to be simultaneous discussion threads.

so yesterday the most major thing I accomplished was instlling the rubber plug in the extra door hole. looks cool and makes for a great story how the t doors were used. But i really would like to lock this thing up.

In a previous thread there is mention that a t lock will work in an 82a cab and still retain the stock door handles. Does this take some modification?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

carnut14,
Most vendors sell a cylinder lock which will fit into the hole you just plugged. The lock was used on other vehicles (like the '28 Fordor). If your door was on a panel delivery, it would have had a cylinder lock in that hole. There is a threaded hole on the side of the door for a headless screw which tightens against the cylinder lock to hold it in place. No modifications to the door are needed.
Regards, Neil Wilson