Rear wheel hub sleeves

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt Kroll
Model Year: 1930

Rear wheel hub sleeves

Post by Matt Kroll »

I'm looking for some opinions here. I have an early '30 157" stake. The rear wheel bearings were worn, and the first 1/4" of the bearing surface on the bottom edge of the ends of the axle tube were somewhat chewed up. I've got new bearings, and I polished the scuffed up part of the axle tube. It's definitely undersize now in that area due to the material loss at the bottom. The sleeves in the hubs are decent and my I.D. mic shows it to be to size for the full length. But there is one small divit in each of the sleaves near where the outer bearing rides. I can feel it with my finger. Not sure how they got there, since the bearing wasn't seized or anything. The divits are not straight or uniform. Almost looks like a gash from a chisel.

My question is, given the conditions of the axle tube bearing race at the outside edges, would it be worth the effort to replace the hub sleeves? I plan on driving the truck around 300 to 500 miles a year, up to 45 MPH.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Kroll - WY8R
http://www.smokypond.com/