29 AA Body Wood Question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Davekpt
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

29 AA Body Wood Question

Post by Davekpt »

Hello,first post on the forum.Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install the door post wood without having to take the body corners loose.I am restoring the truck mechanically and want to keep the old patina intack with as many original body bolts as possible.I tried to lossen one with the usual pre-soaking with penitrant but it promply wrung off.This is my first truck having restored a few JD tractors.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks Dave.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Re: 29 AA Body Wood Question

Post by Brian T »

Hello Dave,
Welcome to the board, if you do not get an answer here go to Fordbarn, this will broaden your search horizon, you may also consider joining the FMAATC club.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Hi Dave, Welcome! I'm with you on trying to keep the patina and using the original bolts as much as possible. I would think that it might be possible to do it but if the top wood is good the door post has a male tennon that extends into the roof wood and that might make it quite challenging. Is the wood totally rotted away? Sometimes the bolts just can't be saved. I find that heat can sometimes be your best friend when getting bolts off. If you don't have an accetaline / oxy torch set up the propane torches with the yellow bottle can do a very good job of heating up a nut in fairly short order. Much hotter than standard propane.
What part of the county are you in? You might get lucky (or perhaps unlucky :wink: ) and have one of us close by.
Dave
------------
Dave
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Hi Dave and Welcome,
Dave Zappa
Is there an echo in here?
:wink:
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

Hello Davekpt, and welcome: (yes there is an echo in here). You will also find a great deal of information and assistance with body questions on: Ahooga's Message board. Best of luck and stay in touch.
Davekpt
Body Type: Express

Post by Davekpt »

First thanks for all the replies.To answer some of your questions my 29 which I've had since June had all the top wood and a foot or so of the door post wood pretty much rotted away.I have installed temporary top wood to kinda hold things together.I do have new top and body wood kits to install. Iv'e had pretty good luck heating bolts to get loose on other parts of the truck but I was afraid that heating the small screws that hold the body corners on would discolor the body and the seams on the back. Like I said this is my first experience with these old trucks and I do want to maintain as much of the patina as I can.I just didn't know if what I needed to do was even possibly without taking everything apart. I live in Kingsport Tenn. which is in the upper East corner.Haven't seen any AAs in these parts.If my truck had set out as long as it had around here there wouldn't have been much left of her.The truck originally came out of N.Dakota.Thanks again all you Daves from Dave.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

I assume that "body wood" means the lock pillar? I don't see how one would replace the lock pillar without removing the corner panels.

The bolts holding the side panels to the center panels are 1/4" bolts with 3/8 hex. heads. The modern day bolts have 7/16 hex. heads and I don't think one could install them given the space available. So, if they can not be saved, replacement 3/8 hex. headed bolts will be required.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Hopefully you can get things fixed up without tearing the cab apart too much. Is there much paint left? Perhaps you can use a heat gun to your advantage. Get it warmed up as much as you dare and cool it quickly with ice water. Might be just enough to get things moving.
I too like the aged look.
Dave
Attachments
DSC07624.JPG
DSC07624.JPG (133.71 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
------------
Dave
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by TruckMan »

1crosscut,

Very nice truck. Thanks for the picture.
TruckMan