Swaying front end

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Eric P
Body Type: Model AA
Model Year: 1929

Swaying front end

Post by Eric P »

Hi,

I just got a '29 AA. It's in really good shape. I drove it a short distance on a good street with no problem. I tried driving it to it's parking spot in the storage lot where it stays. The lot pavement is somewhat wavy and irregular. I had no problem in 2nd gear; when I put it in 3rd gear the front end started swaying back and forth. Slow down and the swaying stops.

The only thing I could think that would cause swaying like that is something broke in the front end. But nothing is broken. I tried to replicate the swaying by pulling on the fender and on the front wheel and couldn't get it to sway. Sort of leads me to believe it's steering but the sway I experienced in the truck didn't feel like the motion one gets when the steering is loose and sloppy.

One of the local folks said that the swaying is normal. I find that a bit hard to believe.

Is swaying like that normal? Or what could be going on? Any advice?

Thanks!!!!
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Re: Swaying front end

Post by Hardhatz »

check the toe
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

Toe in at neutral would cause "shimmy" With bias ply tires a "toe-in" of about 1/16" would work. Radials went to zero. I had a truck that wanted to "shimmey -worse at low speeds.Turned out to be an out of round brake drum which grabbed in only one place .Jack it up and spin the wheel. Also I recall chasing my Model A when driving on uneven roads it just went where it wanted and I would have to steer it back! Driving these beasts is work-imagine doing it for a living Day in Day out!! Den
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Eric, If the ball is worn or incorrectly assembled at the rear of the front radius rod where it attaches to the bell housing it can made the front end sway or wander at higher speeds. This can change the caster of the front axle. The problem is not always in the front end either. Worn pins and bushings in the rear suspension can push the front end around especially at faster speeds and on irregular surfaces.

Keith
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Post by captain marty »

I know the exact problem you are talking aobut, I've been there too. It used to just wear me out driving my truck the way it wondered all over the road, until I replaced my wishbone ball and set my toe-in. I drove it a year and just checked my toe last week, it is still dead on. I love my truck
Marty