Worm drive shaft coupler pin replacement question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Worm drive shaft coupler pin replacement question

Post by 1crosscut »

I am in the process of pulling the worm drive rear end on my 1929 AA apart to replace the drive shaft grease seal, axle seals and inspect and repair any thing else that needs attention while I'm there.
There are two pins through the coupling that join the drive shaft to the worm drive screw. Both pins are peened over at the ends to hold them in place. The replacement kit has one pin that needs to be peened at both ends and a pin with a washer and cotter pin. I can see where it would be an advantage to have the rear pin removable to make replacing the grease seal much easier. With the torque tube being tapered I would think that the front one would have to be peened because of space limitations but it looks as if there would be room at the rear location for the pin with the washer and cotter key.
Anyone done this recently?
Dave
Attachments
xDSC07961.jpg
xDSC07961.jpg (140.33 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
xDSC07962.jpg
xDSC07962.jpg (142.68 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
------------
Dave
gunmetal 2

Re: Worm drive shaft coupler pin replacement question

Post by gunmetal 2 »

yes i have, pin with washer and cotter pin go in the end by the seal. If any guestions call 574-221-1475 or e-mail me at 1929oldlady@gmail.com good luck call anytime I live in northern Indiana
1crosscut

Re: Worm drive shaft coupler pin replacement question

Post by 1crosscut »

Thanks Gunmetal 2. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that ever had a worm drive seal leak.
Dave
------------
Dave