ton or ton and a half?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
carnut14
Body Type: don't know
Model Year: 1929

ton or ton and a half?

Post by carnut14 »

I hear folks describing their AA's as either a ton or ton and a half trucks.
what is the difference? wheels, springs, frame?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: ton or ton and a half?

Post by Chris Haynes »

AA's are all Ton and a Half. TT's were one ton.
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by TruckMan »

I read in an old brochure from 1928 that the AA was rated 1 1/2 tons with singles, 2 1/2 tons with duals, although Ford did not supply duals at that time. The frame is stout and the springs are tough. i have to load two tons just to get the truck level, and my body weighs about 1200 lbs.

Does anyone else use their truck for any heavy work? I'd enjoy some feed back.
TruckMan
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Hello, hello! Does anyone else use their AA trucks for heavy hauling? I also have a 3/4 ton pick up, a '67 Chevy C-20, but the heavy loads go on the dump truck. And Christmas trees. People notice when you get your Christmas tree in a 1928 AA Ford with steel spoke wheels. Ohhh man, I love trucks!
Attachments
1123071610.jpg
1123071610.jpg (38.32 KiB) Viewed 10033 times
TruckMan
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by Hardhatz »

When I was a kid, we lived in Snohomish WA.
Dad used to get a load of coal for the winter that would overflow the sideboards on our AA dump.
He tells me it was 5 tons.

I remember the tires (7.50s out back) rode very low, and even with a strong "B" motor it would not pull 3rd gear.

I shudder to think how well (or rather not-so-well) it might have stopped in a crisis!
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

Yep!! I use my flat bed and weaver auto crane all the time! All of the little kids tell me that its just like tow mater off of the cars movie, they always convince their mom of the photo opportunity hahaha
Trevor O Davis
turretman1st
Body Type: 157wb 185a

Post by turretman1st »

when I still had my 1930 157wb 85b with 185a stakebed with 1 ton overload spring set.
I used it all the time all over san Francisco bay area, northern California. it was used as a truck and driven almost daily.
when stationed at treasure island us navy it was used quite a few times to help other sailors move from or to the island with a housefull of furniture on it. and also used when I moved from treasure island to clear lake, ca.
another time for my brother in law two pallet stacks of 1/2 inch sheet rock did not compress to the overloads. the steering was a little light (sheetrock back a little to far). on November 12 1986 for the 50th anniversary of the san Francisco -Oakland bay bridge crossing reenactment it had three tv camera crews and all of the different news paper photographers in the back wasn't much room.

would really like to find the person who has my old truck know so I could give him the brass presentation plate from the reenactment crossing

forgot it was also used for santa clause on the base
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Thanks for the feed back and stories.

5 tons! Wow! When I have loaded it it heavy, I plan my stops. I push with all I have and watch my distances.
TruckMan
turretman1st
Body Type: 157wb 185a

Post by turretman1st »

my aa had the original brake liningsm were hardly used in the orange grove. the emergency lining were nonexistent had to replace those.
but I could brake skid all 6 tires unloaded.
in otherwords use them they are a truck.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

The McMillan green book which is a collection of reprints of era documents, states the maximum load with dual wheels at 2 1/4 tons. p69.
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by Mike in Maine »

Hauling 2 tons of wood pellets.
Attachments
AA & Archie_1906_2.jpg
AA & Archie_1906_2.jpg (108.46 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

turretman1st wrote:when I still had my 1930 157wb 85b with 185a stakebed with 1 ton overload spring set.
I used it all the time all over san Francisco bay area, northern California. it was used as a truck and driven almost daily.
when stationed at treasure island us navy it was used quite a few times to help other sailors move from or to the island with a housefull of furniture on it. and also used when I moved from treasure island to clear lake, ca.
another time for my brother in law two pallet stacks of 1/2 inch sheet rock did not compress to the overloads. the steering was a little light (sheetrock back a little to far). on November 12 1986 for the 50th anniversary of the san Francisco -Oakland bay bridge crossing reenactment it had three tv camera crews and all of the different news paper photographers in the back wasn't much room.

would really like to find the person who has my old truck know so I could give him the brass presentation plate from the reenactment crossing

forgot it was also used for santa clause on the base

On this note, Im curious as to what color your AA was. I aquired an AA, copper colored body, and bed, with a creme color frame and axle from Ingersoll Rand in Oakland. This was in 1993(When I purchased it) Ill have to find the tags Which I still have*somewhere!*
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Speaking of colors, Mine is believed to have black fenders (long running boards and rear fenders), rock moss green cab but i have no idea what color the stakebed/flatbed would have been. Were the splash aprons same color as the cab or black like the fenders and running boards?

Anyone have good online source for color combinations for the AA?
JWHorton
Body Type: 82B

Post by JWHorton »

Stakebed wrote:Speaking of colors, Mine is believed to have black fenders (long running boards and rear fenders), rock moss green cab but i have no idea what color the stakebed/flatbed would have been. Were the splash aprons same color as the cab or black like the fenders and running boards?

Anyone have good online source for color combinations for the AA?
It is my understanding that the stakebeds were painted completely at the factory one color
That being the same as the cab and hood, everything the sideboards, bed and even underneath down to the steel frame

Below is a copy of an e-mail exchange I had a few weeks back regarding this same subject with Neil Wilson
I had send him some pictures

Questions
My AA's platform body is painted red is that correct?
If not what color?
Is the platform floor lumber supposed to be painted or a clear finished?

Your platform is the 88-A which would have been original for the truck. It was painted body color after complete assembly (i.e. all wood and fasteners). It appears that the wood sills are not painted cab color which would be incorrect. Paint was satin enamel to match the lacquer cab color.

The stakes for the platform racks are red is this correct? If not what color?
Is the lumber for the stake racks supposed to be painted or clear finished?

Your stake racks are the 188-A (but missing the two rear stake racks). They would have been original for your AA. They were painted body color after complete assembly (i.e. all wood and fasteners). Paint was satin enamel to match the lacquer cab color.

Hope this helps! :)
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

oh cool yea i had no idea (too much rust not enough nooks and crannies to find paint chips) i did find parts of paint on the wood boards that go between frame and bed but i wasn't sure. I do like how some people keep the natural wood underneath even tho its not factory.

Thanks a bunch!