Body parts same on AA and A?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Model Year: 1930

Body parts same on AA and A?

Post by 731132 »

Hello from Sweden!

I am new to this with both Ford model A and AA, and I have a question that I have not found a good answer to on Google searches.

I recently acquired a 1930/31 Ford model AA Doodlebug, but it is unfortunately missing some parts.
Namely everything in front of the firewall, hood, fenders, radiator, motor and the complete front suspension.
Now I have come in contact with a guy that have all these part for sale, but from a 1930/31 Ford model A.
So I wonder will these fit on a model AA? I know the engine will, but what about the rest?

Btw, here is a pic of the doodlebug from where I found it, before I took it home and started to restore it.

Thankful for help!

Regards Magnus
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Body parts same on AA and A?

Post by spectria »

731132 wrote:Hello from Sweden! I am new to this with both Ford model A and AA, and I have a question that I have not found a good answer to on Google searches.
I recently acquired a 1930/31 Ford model AA Doodlebug, but it is unfortunately missing some parts.
Namely everything in front of the firewall, hood, fenders, radiator, motor and the complete front suspension.
Now I have come in contact with a guy that have all these part for sale, but from a 1930/31 Ford model A. So I wonder will these fit on a model AA? I know the engine will, but what about the rest? Btw, here is a pic of the doodlebug from where I found it, before I took it home and started to restore it. (pics)
Thankful for help! Regards Magnus
Welcome, and good luck.
If you are planning to mount AA vs A parts there are lots of differences in the suspension and Brakes, spring, steering linkage, etc.
Others will come on and tell you specifics if you ask.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Hood, fenders, Engine are all the same as a Model A. The AA radiator is a bit larger but an A radiator will work. All the body parts on an A are the same as AA. Except a fender with a spare tire mount in it.

Post by 731132 »

Thank you for your help guys:)

Then I know I can buy the body parts, and will start a search for a correct AA front axle and suspension.

Regards Magnus
Warpspeed

Post by Warpspeed »

I believe (although I am not absolutely certain of this) that the AA had two different front axles, a heavy version and a light version. The light version being the same as fitted to the Model A car.

I base this on showing pictures here on this Forum of my own 29 AA, and was told I have the "light" front axle.
Although the AA chassis is much heavier than an A chassis, all the mounting holes for everything up front are located in the exact same places. Everything should be a straight bolt up fit.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Warpspeed wrote:I believe (although I am not absolutely certain of this) that the AA had two different front axles, a heavy version and a light version. The light version being the same as fitted to the Model A car.

I base this on showing pictures here on this Forum of my own 29 AA, and was told I have the "light" front axle.
Although the AA chassis is much heavier than an A chassis, all the mounting holes for everything up front are located in the exact same places. Everything should be a straight bolt up fit.
Was the front of the frame different at all from 82a to 82b?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Warpspeed

Post by Warpspeed »

I don't understand the question, but here it is:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166 ... assis4.jpg
Bob C wrote:I still say this is a 28-29 Canadian chassis. According to my Canadian parts book that rear axle was only used in 28-29 so
they did not use the humped cross member , they did not use the worm drive axle. Also notice the 28-29 headlight bar, and the small front axle and brakes.
Bob
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3333

Post by 731132 »

Now I finally got the AA Doodlebug home, and here are some pic's after I have cleaned it up a bit. The second gearbox and rear axle rotated freely. The rear axle seems to come from a Mercedes truck from the 1940's. Unfortunately the frame have been reinforced with flat iron that also covers the chassis number, but I think the AA is from 1930. Right now I am looking for body panels, hood, radiator and fenders.
Still have a lot of work before it is running again, but I have located an engine and gearbox via a friend, and a chassis with complete front and rear suspension and axles from an Swedish military "Maskinvagn m/35" or generator wagon, those wagon were built on leftover chassis from model AA's after they when out of production. Pic below from the one I found and one of how the looked when new.
You can see they have shortened the chassis, but other than that it is left almost intact.