Cadmium plaing split rings

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rust_bucket
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Cadmium plaing split rings

Post by rust_bucket »

I see that the original split rings on the AA rims were cadmium plated. I have checked around my area and no one does cadmium plating but a few do zinc plating. The guy at the plating place says it looks the same as cadmium plating. There is a clear and a yellow zinc available. Has anyone had any experience zinc plating the split rings? I just had the rims and rings sand blasted, is any further preparation needed?
Thanks, David
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Cadmium plaing split rings

Post by Neil Wilson »

Unless you have excellent to NOS split rings, you should check them for hammer marks around the edges. Tire changers were usually not kind to the wheel or split ring. I spent several hours grind/sanding both the split rings and wheels to make them look original.

Plating is not going to cover any pitting and it is close to impossible to eliminate pitting on the inside curve of the rings.

There is a place close to me in Boulder, CO that does cadmium plating.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Model Year: 1929

Post by rust_bucket »

Neil, can you give me the information on the place near you that does cadmium plating?
Have you had any experience with them?
Thank you.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The shop below plated some of my parts (years ago). I didn't deal directly with them. The shop working on my AA took my parts to them. I was pleased with the results. I am putting together some parts to take to them. The prep work to make the parts like original is the biggest effort. No since plating until all metal work is finished!

Aero Propeller, 303-469-1749, 800-525-8756, 9616 Metro Airport Ave. (Jeffco Airport Ave in my Garmin) Hanger 44, Broomfield, Co. 80021
Cadmium Plating (with clean parts) $5.?? per lb.; $100.00 minimum + $15.00 hazards waste; Small Part cleaning - $70.00 per hour – glass bead blast – as of 8/28/12 - Uses cyanide bath
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by manyolkars »

I got some parts plated in Dallas years ago. They may still be in business
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Google cadmium plating and the name of a major city near you.