Long time no see - lots of questions!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Long time no see - lots of questions!

Post by Stakebed »

Anyhow getting back into my 29 AA, got the frame pretty well stripped down but need to know how to remove the brake cross shaft... I noticed it wasn't like a standard A where it bolts to the bottom of the frame, it goes thru the sides...

also i noticed my rear leaf spring packs don't have the same number of leafs... im gonna guess that aint normal.... how many should it have per pack? (29 1.5 ton single rear wheel. March '29 if that matters)

on the rear brake rods there's a shorter rod (maybe 3') that goes from the brake cross shaft to some intermediate yoke right in front of the rear spring to frame bolt. mine have about 6" springs holding the yokes back towards the rear axle. Are these springs used instead of anti rattle springs like on a standard A? are those 3' rods reproduced? their non adjustable in any way... one of mine is slightly bent other now has a U bend in it...(was broke and got hung up when backing the truck into the tool shed)

anyone got any good books that focus on the AA to get to help on the restoration?
Stakebed

Re: Long time no see - lots of questions!

Post by Stakebed »

anyone know how to remove the brake cross shaft???
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by TruckMan »

Welcome!

My '28 has 16 leaves, if that helps. I am not the book expert. I know that Snyders, Mac, and Brattons sell books along with Model A/AA parts. The world wide web has pictures that can help and its free. And keep posting questions here. The answers may not always be fast but they are valuable.
TruckMan
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Yea, ive got a buncha catalogs and they list some books. Didnt know if anyone knew of a must have type of book for the AA. I have the Model A ford Mechanics Handbook and that covers alot of the model A stuff but has nothing on the AA parts that are different from a standard A.

Right now focusing on stripping the frame and bed down to get it ready for sandblasting and por 15ing.

Got the rear springs yet to remove which look pretty obvious how they come off but got the brake cross shaft which isn't too obvious (or the best methods to remove the ends without breaking or bending them)
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

My June 29 has 18 per spring pack... not sure how that compares to stock.
I removed my cross shaft by removing one of the levers on the end, I think I took the passenger side off. Its riveted on and a pain!
Trevor O Davis
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

fordman88 wrote:My June 29 has 18 per spring pack... not sure how that compares to stock.
I removed my cross shaft by removing one of the levers on the end, I think I took the passenger side off. Its riveted on and a pain!
yea that's what i saw to is a few rivets in them and was hesitant on doing anything drastic... you would think a bolt, castle nut, and a cotter pin would have sufficed at least on one end...

Ill count them today and snag some pics to see what exactly i have...
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Hmm i count like 15 on drivers side and 14 on passenger side (not counting bottom spring where the axle would mount to) yet the u bolts that hold em together are the same height...(maybe i miscounted since i counted from my own pics. Major rain storm headed my way so i took pics and got back in before the hail came)

if you look at the pics of them below they seem to be all outa whack as in alignment like some slid forward or something. Or someone "fixed" them centuries ago...
driver side

pass side

when you got your cross shaft out did you grind one side of the rivet off and beat it out with a hammer and punch?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

The '29 AA's had 16 leaf rear springs as standard (includes the bottom leaf as #1). There was a 13 leaf spring used on the AA panel delivery. There were several other springs used in 1931 for some body types.

It is likely that the cross shaft ends will require the rivets be drilled (starting with a small bit and then increasing the size). I would grind off one rivet head, center punch and then drill about 1/2 way through. Getting the first bit centered is the key to being able to increasing the bit size. It is not an easy job. Once the hole is close to being the rivet size, a punch and heavy hammer might get the rivet to move. If not then the entire rivet could be drilled out.
Attachments
xAA-5560-B Rear Spring Assembly - 16 leaf 1d1.jpg
xAA-5560-B Rear Spring Assembly - 16 leaf 1d1.jpg (449.85 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

Ahh alright, sounds like the cross shaft is going to be a fun afternoon...

Thanks for the pic and spring info! Is it possible to buy one of those AA-5724 B spring clamps? i have one missing one...

Is there supposed to be a center bolt thru all of the leafs? I see in the pic they all stack and line up evenly... Neither of mine do.