stakebed/flatbed strips

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

stakebed/flatbed strips

Post by Stakebed »

Well all of my metal strips that hold the boards down have rusted/broken/chunks missing. I know these arent reproduced and entirely different from the A pickup bed strips.

What have you guys used instead? some 1.5" wide 1/8" thick flat steel with drilled holes? I'm not building a show truck just a personal restoration that I want to keep as stock as possible.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Re: stakebed/flatbed strips

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Someone posted a link to a shop who made repops a while ago and then I think I saw the product in one of the big three catalogues. (Google search?) I cannot remember much, but the detail was not correct, but long enough, and usable bed strips. Something in the profile of the strip was not quite a match.
But hey, if you've got nothing, a usable set of nine of these would look better than flat strips. I doubt you'll run into more than a handful of folks who could spot them as aftermarket anyway.
All nine of my strips have "character" and I plan on using them as the fit well and are original. I've bead blasted them, primer sealed them and just waiting for weather to permit painting. One strange thing I noticed, is that the tend to curl once removed from the bed. Almost as if they had a memory of being on a huge spool before the bolt holes were punched.
Good luck.
sonny
Body Type: bb
Model Year: 1932

Post by sonny »

I have a32bb dually flatbed, but should not matter. With a lot of searching I found a place that will cut the strips to your specs. and put the square holes where you want them. These look like the original skid strips. Contact Horkey's Wood and Parts Inc. ph.# 507-831-5625 Windom, MN. 56101 www.horkeyswoodandparts.com Good luck.
markt
Body Type: 188a
Model Year: 1928

Post by markt »

While scanning through e-bay I found these, I am not sure how authentic they are but if you have nothing to start with they may be better than nothing. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-AA-S ... 36&vxp=mtr
carnut14
Body Type: don't know

Post by carnut14 »

let me highly recommend mar-k for an alternate source. www.mar-k.com
Their strip profile, I believe, is not period correct but its nice!

They punch the strips with the correct spacing.
They have the correct lengths in stock
Strips have the correct square holes
They are great folks to work with!
The strips are available in steel and both polished and unpolished stainless
The strips were cheap! (less than the bolts and I chose the polished stainless)
The strips are packed in a tube and arrive UPS
Did I mention cheap!
The delivery was less than two weeks.
They will provide you with a little sample ( I think it was a couple of bucks)
Made in the USA
And they look great!
and well they were inexpensive
Building this truck I have found some great people, and the folks at Mar-k are at the top of the list.
I would post a picture but I have everything blown apart to finish the oak
JPP
Body Type: 82-A

Post by JPP »

I also used mar-k strips. Good quality and good value.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Cool thanks guys! The only difference i see is the originals were finished on the ends. the profile is pretty close. i will definitely use one of them if nothing turns up.

random question but the wood boards themselves were the steel strips originally supposed to fit in the grooves routered into the boards? because on my truck the grooves were on the underside and no evidence of the grooves on the top side...Im not the only one to notice this either...Was it common practice to flip the boards over if they got too chewed up?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Stakebed,
The floor boards were cut in different ways depending on which platform you have. Let us know the type or post some pictures.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

alright ill grab some pics.