Clutch Repair

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
stufferdarwin
Body Type: ?? closed cab
Model Year: 1931

Clutch Repair

Post by stufferdarwin »

Quite a while back I asked for ideas on clutch repair. I had at least 3 gents tell me pulling the
engine was the better option.
Today I got under the truck. I see 4 bolts on the spring bosses, 4 cotter pins on the brake rods,
speedo connection, brake lite connection and a total of 8 bolts at the universal housing on the frame cross member. At this point I would hope the entire rear axle and & torque tube assemly would roll backward.
What am I missing that would make pulling the engine a better option??
Thanks
Stuffer
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: Clutch Repair

Post by Bob C »

If you are lucky and have the service replacement coupling shaft with the u-joint at
the back of the transmission you can just take it out and remove the transmission.

Bob
Attachments
coupling.jpg
coupling.jpg (229.46 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

The fun part is putting it back together and getting the splines to line up.
stufferdarwin
Body Type: ?? closed cab

Post by stufferdarwin »

Doesn't look like anything has ever been replaced on this drive line and if it depends on "luck" I'm really screwed, so I'm not counting on the replacement shaft.
If the spline alignment is the major problem I may have that figured out. It involves 2 small floor jacks and 2 piano dollies. If I can get whole unit to move back and forth smoothly and get the tires just high enough to turn freely I should be able accomplish the alignment.
Got a couple friends to help and lots of transmission stabbing experience.
If I go the engine route I'll have to rent an engine hoist ( or use a tree) & motor stand and once I get the engine out it's going to lead to a lot of expense because I won't be able to leave well enough alone.
Guys....thanks for the info
Darwin
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by TruckMan »

The engine only weighs 200 lbs. I've carried it in my arms. If you have some rope and a pulley you can do it. Now I disclaim any injuries that your attorney would blame me for, but with proper care you can get the engine out without going to extremes.

But you do what makes you comfortable.
TruckMan