Truck Weight

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Truck Weight

Post by Chris Haynes »

lets say your rig weighs 80,000 pounds and you have 5 axles. That doesn't mean that there is 16,000 pounds on each axle. Different parts of the rig will be different weights.
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Chris,

They're not saying that all the axles will be all the same weight. They're just saying that you can weigh one wheel at a time to get the total weight if the vehicle.

Red
JWHorton
Body Type: 82B

Post by JWHorton »

I am getting a lot out of this thanks to everyone
My appointment with the biggest trailer dealer in the area is this afternoon
With all this in hand I can't make a mistake
For those that are concerned about the tow truck I was concerned using that five letter word on this forum but will chance it
It's a Chevy 3500 Dully with a DuraMax and six speed manual
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Reds34 wrote:Chris,

They're not saying that all the axles will be all the same weight. They're just saying that you can weigh one wheel at a time to get the total weight if the vehicle.

Red
That may sound logical but is not the case. I say this a having 48 years of experience of weiging trucks on scales. Many times the totaled weight of individual axles exceeds the actual weight of the truck when it is completely on the scales.
Erskine48
Body Type: 82a/3axle
Model Year: 1929

Post by Erskine48 »

The Police are looking for someone overweight on an axle, which is where the legal limit is. The DMV is looking for gross weight for fees, that is the reason for the two different types of weight. Bob E.
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Duramax with a 6 speed manual, that should be able to tow that with no problem. Those are good trucks.

Red
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

I have a different solution to towing my truck with a smaller Vehicle. Here is what I did...
08-21-12_1949.jpg
08-21-12_1949.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
08-21-12_1954.jpg
08-21-12_1954.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
GEDC1480a r.jpg
GEDC1480a r.jpg (292.89 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
spectria

Post by spectria »

GEDC1450a r.jpg
GEDC1450a r.jpg (289.53 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
GEDC1457a cropped.jpg
GEDC1457a cropped.jpg (205.04 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
GEDC1451a r.jpg
GEDC1451a r.jpg (251.58 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
This mounting is slotted and I added a second Grade 8 bolt to strengthen and allow some movement for possible spring travel. The axle under the rear is a new 3500 lb trailer drop axle that I welded custom shaped saddles to fit the AA drum.
This allows lower center of gravity and the wheels on the bed move some weight forward to lighten the rear.
I also up graded to a Tow Dolly with Electric brakes.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

I love the ingenuity but i know in IL they would pull you over in a heart beat....I hope its just to transport it from storage to your house or whatnot - not long distance traveling...
spectria

Post by spectria »

Stakebed wrote:I love the ingenuity but i know in IL they would pull you over in a heart beat....I hope its just to transport it from storage to your house or whatnot - not long distance traveling...

I got it inspected and registered @Ca DMV as TowDolly. I had to install fenders on the rear axle. It's licensed, believe it or not.
I also upgraded the 20K lbs straps to steel clamps but I don't have pics of that.
I'd like to hear your actual concerns about it's safety, but I have used it for long distance (several Hundred Miles). It's certainly as strong as a trailer axle system.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

spectria wrote:
Stakebed wrote:I love the ingenuity but i know in IL they would pull you over in a heart beat....I hope its just to transport it from storage to your house or whatnot - not long distance traveling...

I got it inspected and registered @Ca DMV as TowDolly. I had to install fenders on the rear axle. It's licensed, believe it or not.
I also upgraded the 20K lbs straps to steel clamps but I don't have pics of that.
I'd like to hear your actual concerns about it's safety, but I have used it for long distance (several Hundred Miles). It's certainly as strong as a trailer axle system.
Ahh ok. Yea no fenders is a big nono here. Yea some form of steel clamping would be better. since the rear axle brace is bolted to the truck frame which is also bolted to the trailer axle how does it swing with bumps without it breaking/bending? id be worried about hitting a pothole with one wheel and the axle twisting the mounts off. (low or high speeds) As i see it when you hit a bump the trailer tire will absorb alot of it but the force will still try to go up which is fine as it would just use the trucks suspension but the way those rear support braces are attached thier the weak point and taking all the bumping stress. i really dont like that cut and bend on the truck frame side of that brace either. with constant bouncing from the road its going to bend and crack that flat steel like a saltine eventually then the rear axle could potentially slip out from under the truck...

Do you run with the AA in gear and the parking brake applied hard?
spectria

Post by spectria »

Stakebed wrote:
spectria wrote:

Ahh ok. Yea no fenders is a big nono here. Yea some form of steel clamping would be better. since the rear axle brace is bolted to the truck frame which is also bolted to the trailer axle how does it swing with bumps without it breaking/bending? id be worried about hitting a pothole with one wheel and the axle twisting the mounts off. (low or high speeds) As i see it when you hit a bump the trailer tire will absorb alot of it but the force will still try to go up which is fine as it would just use the trucks suspension but the way those rear support braces are attached thier the weak point and taking all the bumping stress. i really dont like that cut and bend on the truck frame side of that brace either. with constant bouncing from the road its going to bend and crack that flat steel like a saltine eventually then the rear axle could potentially slip out from under the truck...

No, the axle won't rotate around the differential with the trailing arms attached.
I mentioned that the place where the bolts goes through my brace is slotted so there is room for travel and the bolts have lock nuts so they are not cinched completely to allow some movement., about 2 inches, which at the angle the brace is the springs would have to compress about 6 inches or more. The springs on the AA won't budge much.
The cut is welded up, these pics are when I first used it to move one of my trucks to the storage, Then I did the upgrades. I'll take new pics when I get a chance, it's a ways away...
I had the same concern about hitting a massive pot hole so I found one and ran over it @60, no problem, but the roof on the AA came apart! I'm still wanting input, so I'll accept more...
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

spectria wrote:
Stakebed wrote:
spectria wrote:

No, the axle won't rotate around the differential with the trailing arms attached.
I mentioned that the place where the bolts goes through my brace is slotted so there is room for travel and the bolts have lock nuts so they are not cinched completely to allow some movement., about 2 inches, which at the angle the brace is the springs would have to compress about 6 inches or more. The springs on the AA won't budge much.
The cut is welded up, these pics are when I first used it to move one of my trucks to the storage, Then I did the upgrades. I'll take new pics when I get a chance, it's a ways away...
I had the same concern about hitting a massive pot hole so I found one and ran over it @60, no problem, but the roof on the AA came apart! I'm still wanting input, so I'll accept more...
Haha oops on the roof:D Sounds like mine when i was hauling it home was all good till i got above 35 and the roof tried to escape.

yea maybe i need to see the latest pics