Pulling apart my dual high.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Pulling apart my dual high.

Post by 1crosscut »

Got the rear end of the truck all rebuilt and buttoned up and now have the dual high out and have started dissasembly to replace the front and rear seals. I've pulled the rear cover and pto cover off and have everything soaking in the parts washer at the moment. Has anyone had recent experience in working on one of these. Any tips would be appreciated.
Dave
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Pulling apart my dual high.

Post by Stakebed »

I havent taken mine apart yet. All ive done is drain what was left of the black goop outa it and refilled to the brim with paint thinner and spun the input and shifted it a few hundred times then drained it out and repeated. now i just have some whatever grade engine oil i had in it to prevent rusting and keep it all lubed while i focus on other stuff.

If you have the ability to take and post pics id love to see the inside!
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

I was able to get it apart tonight. These things are pretty interesting on the inside. Some serious engineering. I'm fortunate as all my races and bearings look really good.
I picked up a couple of the seals from NAPA today. They look as if they are the correct size but certainly not as beefy as the ones that were originally there. The cost from NAPA was a little bit over $9.00 each. On Snyders it lists them for $19.35 each. The picture on Snyders web catalog looks to be pretty much the same right down to the color of the paint on the seal. Anyone have experience with the ones from Snyders? Are they better?

Stakebed, I'll take some pictures for you.

Dave
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

neat! yea i know i need to replace both seals on mine. when i disconected the drivetrain that 600 oil was everywhere in it. I didnt realize the u joints were supposed to be filled with grease and not that 600w stuff....so either the trans or dual high leaked out. Or rear axle leaked up.
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA

Post by 1929 AA boy »

I have rebuilt three of these already belive it or not the best gasget material that I have found for the pto cover and the housing was construction paper with a very clean surface I have been running the construction paper gasgets in both trannys for about two years now and I drive one of my AAs a lot ... never had a leak ... for some reason when I first made a cork gasget I was always getting leaks ... as long as the bearings in there don't show wear and the gears have minimal wear you should be alright... one of the ones I tore apart was extremely wore and another looked like brand new but you should be able to get anny gear you need from your local steel suplyer ... good luck !
Warpspeed
Model Year: 1931

Post by Warpspeed »

And don't forget to snap a rare earth magnet onto every one of your oil drain plugs.
These will pick up a grey metal "fuzz" that will truly astound you.