Dual High Pictures

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Dual High Pictures

Post by Brian T »

I used the John Deere cornhead grease in my U-joints, but have now switched back to using the red Mystic grease, the reason for this is that the cornhead turned to oil and leaked out of the felt seals on the housings.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

Brian,

Did you take everything apart and clean before you used the Mystic grease? The only reason I ask because the Cornhead grease is urea based and I believe the Mystic grease is lithium based. I've heard multiple times to not switch greases with different bases without cleaning everything up first, but have always wondered if it would really do any damage. When I put the cornhead grease in my '34 the u-joint housings were clean, but there was some old grease in the driveshaft bearing that I didn't clean out. I guess we'll see if the bearing goes out.

Red
J0eitall
Body Type: Rack
Model Year: 1930

Post by J0eitall »

Great pic sets , I started to take apart the frame i have and was looking in the ford factory parts book couldn't find a duel high shifter like this , is it a homemade setup or off something else ??? from what i can tell its a 28-29 frame ...

Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

first ive seen of one but does look aftermarketish...i dont think it was engineered in a tool shed so was made somewhere...

if it works good id keep it as it is interesting
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

It is just the front bearing that will need to be hand packed with grease prior to assembly. The rear bearing gets lubricated by the 600 wt oil in the dual high. If you look at the pictures you will see that the front seal is keeps the 600 wt from reaching it. It only gets lubed by excess grease from the u-joint so the initial hand packing is important.
Dave
------------
Dave
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Post by Brian T »

Hello Red,
Ever thing was cleaned of old crease when it was apart a year and a half ago, I had to remove the lower half of the rear u-joint housing to drain what was left of the cornhead, the front u-joint I removed the grease fitting to drain it.
I believe the mixing of greases is more critical with modern day equipment, these old trucks were problem fed anything that was around that the owner believed would work.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.