Strange runningboard bracket measurement

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Kanc
Body Type: wrecker
Model Year: 1929

Strange runningboard bracket measurement

Post by Kanc »

Recently I purchased a "1929" AA which I was told was totally original. I have owned A's and AA's previously, so no problems restoring this one. One problem has come up. When I fitted new running boards, the brackets did not match up to the running board bolt holes. I measured the distance between brackets (center to center) and came up with 27 inches. The old running boards had a 27 inch measurement between bolt holes also. The new running boards have a 28 inch measurement. My other '29 has a 28 inch measurement. Club members think that maybe I have an early '28, not a '29. The frame numbers rusted away. Anybody else have a '28-9 AA with a 27 inch spread between running board brackets ? By any chance, does anyone have for sale, decent short '28-9 running boards that have the 27 inch measurement ?
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Strange runningboard bracket measurement

Post by Stakebed »

hmm i can measure my march 29 aa soon and be able to compare. mine had the long runnin boards. i know one of my brackets is bent so i may be able to bend it back close. ill measure th eknown non bent side.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Reproduction parts often do not fit! Check the date stamped on the firewall on the truck in question!
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Kanc:

I've had one old '28 or '29 AA running board in with my junk for years. I just went out and flipped it over. It measures 27" from center of hole to center of hole.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Kanc
Body Type: wrecker

Post by Kanc »

I am quite aware that repro parts may not fit. That is not the problem here. As far as I know, there are no repro running boards with the 27 in bolt spacing. The question arises as what to do. Should I hope for decent correct running boards, or relocate the brackets. I am not sure of the exact year of the truck because the frame serial number has rusted away and so has the firewall date. I think it maybe an early '28 because of the running board measurements. I am restoring this truck to "museum quality", and need to make it as correct as possible.

For those who are interested, the truck was built as a wrecker, with a 3 ton Weaver Auto Crane unit.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The answer to these questions may help date the truck. Wire or disc wheels, left hand emergency brake, red or black steering wheel,
fluted head light lenses, separate emergency and service brake or just service brake.

Bob
Erskine48
Body Type: 82a/3axle

Post by Erskine48 »

Checked both my frames and I come up with 27 in. 1st frame is 6 wheeler setup and frame is disassembled, rear running board bracket is removed with extension, but measured from top bracket hole. 2nd frame is express and has left long board in place, #1 to #2 measured 27 @ top and end of bracket. Brackets on April frame are forged and May frame are stamped. Bob E.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Kanc wrote:I am quite aware that repro parts may not fit. That is not the problem here. As far as I know, there are no repro running boards with the 27 in bolt spacing. The question arises as what to do. Should I hope for decent correct running boards, or relocate the brackets. I am not sure of the exact year of the truck because the frame serial number has rusted away and so has the firewall date. I think it maybe an early '28 because of the running board measurements. I am restoring this truck to "museum quality", and need to make it as correct as possible.

For those who are interested, the truck was built as a wrecker, with a 3 ton Weaver Auto Crane unit.
Post some pictures please! :D
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

yup i got 27" too... man i didnt think repo parts like this would be THAT far off. looks like im in search of original runnin boards haha
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

My guess is that the boards are Model A? My '28 Roadster has a 28" measurement for the running board brackets.

All AA's '27 thru production end have a 27" measurement for the #1 to #2 running board brackets from what I found a few minuets ago.

My computer shows that I have a pair of fairly good '29 AA short boards to sell at $140 +shipping. Note the bracket on the rear end of the boards. All AA short boards have this type of bracket.

If interested, email me a neilwilson.aaford@gmail.com and I will verify I still have the boards and provide additional pictures.

FYI - '28 thru early '29 boards are different in that the edges have crimped edges (like the A boards). This true for both the short and long boards. Boards with the radius on the edges started in early '29.
Attachments
29 AA Running Boards (short) left-right 1 - $70 each.jpg
29 AA Running Boards (short) left-right 1 - $70 each.jpg (392.78 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
Regards, Neil Wilson