floor plate fab for 30-31

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
pyrodork
Body Type: AA Stakebed
Model Year: 1930

Re: floor plate fab for 30-31

Post by pyrodork »

rollingsculpture, could you make one with the PTO cutout? still $20?
Rumored to be an Early '30 AA...

"Pics or it didn't happen."

-- Scotty "It-Only-Sounds-Like-I-Know-What-I'm-Doing" Petersen, Esquire.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

looks like the brake handle hole is about the same just an additional rectangular shape is taken out to allow for the extra handle , i dont have the specs on that but im sure you could cut out what you need to to make it work .. if i send you a plate you can make a paper template from it as a new pattern remove whats needed from the paper to make the handle clear and it will give you a good idea of what to remove from the metal allowing you to than transfere to the plate and cut accurately. let me know what you think
dan plantz
Body Type: stakebed
Model Year: 1929

Post by dan plantz »

any comments positive or negative on making floor plates out of stainless steel plate? tks for your replies in advance. dan
dan plantz

Post by dan plantz »

would you have a pattern for a July 29 AA floor plate with the hi-lo foot pedal cutout? I am considering making a stainless steel floor and cut out rubber matting to go over it. Just need a good pattern (anyone have one) that I could use to cut the stainless and matting from. Thinking a gluing rubber matting over the bottom of stainless as a safety feature to prevent possible shorting problems. Comments? dan
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Dan, As other will say, the heat from the floorboards will be unbearable, pluss cutting stainless is a bear, as well as drilling. No glue will attach anything permanently to it either.
Is this idea for longevity, beauty, or cause you have material?
Last edited by spectria on February 25th, 2015, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
dan plantz

Post by dan plantz »

I have two of the kick panels, stainless off of old military galley (kitchen) doors , and a friend of mine has cutting and bending equipment and is a body man. I have no floor at the present time, thus the request for a pattern for the mid july 29AA. He is the one who suggested metal floors. Sheet metal may be a better option? but pattern for floorboard with the hi lo is main concern.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Someone posted this sometime ago, still looking for the hi-lo cut out overlay
BrattonsFloor.jpg
BrattonsFloor.jpg (114.43 KiB) Viewed 7202 times
spectria

Post by spectria »

Found this...
Hi-Lo floor before DSC07464.jpg
Hi-Lo floor before DSC07464.jpg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 7201 times
Hi-Lo Floor after DSC07489.jpg
Hi-Lo Floor after DSC07489.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 7201 times
DSC07486.jpg
DSC07486.jpg (59.1 KiB) Viewed 7201 times
I have to start adding poster'sname to my filenames...
credit to "him".
Last edited by spectria on September 2nd, 2013, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

:) Stainless steel is easy to cut and drill. There are two speeds to drill s/s an that is very slow and slower. To Drill center punch where to drill, then use a owl or ice pick or nail to punch a hole through the s/s. With a small drill bit (1/8" or larger) . With a varible speed drill, very-very slowly,with heavy pressure pushing down on the drill bit and start drilling (use sharp drill bits also) Also have water on hand to cool the s/s and the drill bit. NEVER try to drill S/S at a high speed. All you will do is melt the tip of the drill bit. If you are to need larger holes, using hole saws, with 1/4" hole in center (hand drill or drill press, keep water running on the s/s To keep it cool. Also saw as slow as possible, even if you have to turn the drill on and off. Put moderate pressure to maximize cutting plenty of WATER. A hand shear or nibbler is about the best to cut the panel with. A shear for sheet metal is great. What do you think spectria :!:
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Spectra,
Those floor boards would be some that I made for my truck.

Dan,
If you would like I could take some tracings off of my patterns for the floor boards that I made and send them to you.
I wouldn't make the floor boards out of stainless. Since yours is a bit later one you can use plywood. Would be waaaaay easier in my mind than fabricating them out of stainless and you will get a better fit.
Dave
------------
Dave
spectria

Post by spectria »

SHELBY MESSER wrote::) Stainless steel is easy to cut and drill. There are two speeds to drill s/s an that is very slow and slower. To Drill center punch where to drill, then use a owl or ice pick or nail to punch a hole through the s/s. With a small drill bit (1/8" or larger) . With a varible speed drill, very-very slowly,with heavy pressure pushing down on the drill bit and start drilling (use sharp drill bits also) Also have water on hand to cool the s/s and the drill bit. NEVER try to drill S/S at a high speed. All you will do is melt the tip of the drill bit. If you are to need larger holes, using hole saws, with 1/4" hole in center (hand drill or drill press, keep water running on the s/s To keep it cool. Also saw as slow as possible, even if you have to turn the drill on and off. Put moderate pressure to maximize cutting plenty of WATER. A hand shear or nibbler is about the best to cut the panel with. A shear for sheet metal is great. What do you think spectria :!:
That is how I got through it, slow speed, titanium coated bits, and I used cutting oil.

I can't imagine a hole saw working at all on what I have cut before, more likely to rip the guide bit off at first contact... jmho.
I have installed 20 or so restaurant kitchens and I have always found stainless allot of work.
I must have been cutting some old school stainless, it was an industrial sink I made into a transmission bench, it was a bear to cut and drill, but Dan has the equipment and skills available, so no worries.

I like the beauty of wood like 1crosscuts floorboards.
japjr47
Body Type: None

Post by japjr47 »

I know this is an old thread but are you still making these plates? If you are I need one for my early '30 with 4 speed. Thanks.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

dan plantz wrote:I have two of the kick panels, stainless off of old military galley (kitchen) doors , and a friend of mine has cutting and bending equipment and is a body man. I have no floor at the present time, thus the request for a pattern for the mid july 29AA. He is the one who suggested metal floors. Sheet metal may be a better option? but pattern for floorboard with the hi lo is main concern.

I wouldn't want a metal floor. The wooden floorboards get hot enough. I can only imagine how hot metal would get.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

hi guys long time since ive been on the forum lots of life events but still available for the plate initiating the post and other info

best

Mike