Trailer and tow vehicle to transport model AA?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Trailer and tow vehicle to transport model AA?

Post by Stakebed »

yea hence why Im asking now of whats the best to get. Braking and being to control it needs a full size hands down that i get. A 350 engine will get it moving - maybe not the fastest or up the side of a mountain easily but it can if it had to. Electric trailer brakes and a brake controller is hands down best thing for controlling it.

I know nothing of the enclosed trailers but i figured they would be hard to get (and hard to get out of the AA once its in) one that fits an AA. An open trailer offers more versatility (18 foot would be ideal) in other uses. but didnt know if it would hurt the AA to tow it out in the wind.(that we do get a bit of)

I dont live on or own a farm so while id LOVE to get a diesel truck i feel it would be overkill (plus thier WAY overpriced for rusted junk around me - sure the engine has low miles but the cabs about ready to rot off the frame sorta deal or it has more dents and scuffs than straight pannels...im talking like $10K+ for a 13 year old dodge... while regular gas engined fullsizes same age usually 3-5K.

are 29 AA's with a stake bed relatively balanced between the wheels? or is the front heavier vs the rear end area meaning it may be hard to balance on an 18 ft trailer so it doesnt have a buncha tougne weight.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Erskine48 wrote:I towed the AA six-wheeler home with a 66 Charger and a heavy towing dolly, it was on its own rear axle. It was 24 ft. long, brought it over the ridge route,350 miles, what a trip! Have towed a panel truck to shows on open and closed trailers, it requires every bit of a 7ft. opening and there are not many trailers that way, also never try to tow on an open trailer with a car cover. Bob E.
Your Charger had a Curb Weight of 3600 to 4100 pounds depending on engine and 117" wheelbase, about the same as most F150, 1500 combinations. Perfectly suited for towing our AA's. My Rig Loaded weighed in at 4K lbs, with an extremely experienced driver and GREAT BRAKES all around.
The driver plays a greater roll in the safety of the rig and the motoring public than a monster truck, as even Semi's can't stop their loads 95% of the time in an emergency without a collision or jackknife... Check out youtube if you doubt this.
I had 2 opportunities due to knucklehead drivers to crash my Load this last trip, and I stopped faster than the wreck in front of me due to the trailing load being stopped and dragging me to a stop also. Your set-up was sweet, and All combo's of matched systems can work well, just be prepared...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Stakebed wrote:yea hence why I'm asking now of whats the best to get. Braking and being to control it needs a full size hands down that i get. A 350 engine will get it moving - maybe not the fastest or up the side of a mountain easily but it can if it had to. Electric trailer brakes and a brake controller is hands down best thing for controlling it.

I know nothing of the enclosed trailers but i figured they would be hard to get (and hard to get out of the AA once its in) one that fits an AA. An open trailer offers more versatility (18 foot would be ideal) in other uses. but didn't know if it would hurt the AA to tow it out in the wind.(that we do get a bit of)

I don't live on or own a farm so while id LOVE to get a diesel truck i feel it would be overkill (plus their WAY overpriced for rusted junk around me - sure the engine has low miles but the cabs about ready to rot off the frame sorta deal or it has more dents and scuffs than straight panels...I'm talking like $10K+ for a 13 year old dodge... while regular gas engined full sizes same age usually 3-5K.

are 29 AA's with a stake bed relatively balanced between the wheels? or is the front heavier vs the rear end area meaning it may be hard to balance on an 18 ft trailer so it doesn't have a buncha tongue weight.
I weighed my Truck at the dump, they wouldn't print it out, but I saw the weights briefly, The rear of my Platform weighed less than the Front by about 250. The short wheelbase)
All diesels are gonna bring allot more. Come to Cali and get something rust-free!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Warpspeed

Post by Warpspeed »

If its only one trip per year, adding up all the pennies, it may be cheaper to rent something suitably huge, just for the occasion.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

yea i was considering that, but this isnt the first time a 16 or 18 ft trailer would have come in handy, or a full size truck...i only have a 2wd 4cyl s10 and a 4x8 trailer. while ive done alot and hauled well over its limits a fullsize is just needed sometimes.
JWHorton
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1930

Post by JWHorton »

Texas is a great state for rust free trucks of all kinds
me0418840987
Body Type: packers express

Post by me0418840987 »

I use my 1994 dodge v10 dually manual trans and a hydraulic tilt bed trailer that I built myself. Seriously though, any full size pickup or suv with a properly maintained trailer and brakes can pull these trucks. They only weigh between 2800 and 4000 lbs. Before I got a bit smarter, I used to pull everything with my 1/2 ton dodge. Went ok, butneeded to upgrade after pulling with a.dually and found how much more stable it was. I would use an enclosed trailer if u can afford one. I use an open trailer because of the cost of buying more equipment.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

me0418840987 wrote:I use my 1994 dodge v10 dually manual trans and a hydraulic tilt bed trailer that I built myself. Seriously though, any full size pickup or suv with a properly maintained trailer and brakes can pull these trucks. They only weigh between 2800 and 4000 lbs. Before I got a bit smarter, I used to pull everything with my 1/2 ton dodge. Went ok, butneeded to upgrade after pulling with a.dually and found how much more stable it was. I would use an enclosed trailer if u can afford one. I use an open trailer because of the cost of buying more equipment.
id like an enclosed trailer (possible to weld up some kind of bolt and pin type of canopy to an open trailer perhaps?) but i thought i read in an earlier post its hard to find a 7ft wide inside space enclosed trailer.
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump

Post by Hardhatz »

I've often thought of attaching a tow bar to the front axle that pivots and is connected behind the axle to the steering.
The thing would heel like a well-trained dog.

Of course you'd need to add brakes, but I've seen electric actuators that press the towed vehicle's pedal...

You'd save the weight of a trailer :D

If you peek at Magnus' post about the Doodlebug, you'll see a trailer with such a steering setup.
manyolkars
Model Year: 1930

Post by manyolkars »

I have a 1939 Ford pickup that I have driven daily for 17 years and its pulled both of AAs 400 miles each on a 18 foot car hauler trailer. There were no beds on the AAs so I loaded up lots of other stuff on each trip